Our day at Old Sturbridge Village

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Henrietta23, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    OSV is a recreated 1830s village in Massachussetts. We're members and go every few months, more often in the warm weather! We went today since we are all on vacation from school. Here are a few pictures of some of the animals at the Village. I can't believe they've had their first lambs born already! Hen and rooster begging for cookie crumbs [​IMG]
    These two were so cute! The calf was born in the spring. We met him when he was just a month old. He is so friendly. Loves to be petted.
    [​IMG]
    I only got one decent shot of a lamb. There were so many people crowded around to see them. And of course it wouldn't turn its head toward me! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i love that place..its only about 25-30 min from me!..i havent been there in a long time though....i'll have to go this spring!...thanks for the pics!..[​IMG]

3. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I love that place too! Used to go at least once a year when I lived in MA.
    Took a class there once, also.

4. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I would love to take their hearth cooking class. I don't have an open hearth and it's $85 so it isn't going to happen any time soon. We just love it there. Our 6 year old does too. Today he help saw wood with one of those big two person saws and dipped candles, both the old fashioned way in one of the houses, and in the craft center to take home. We're reading Laura Ingalls Wilder's Farmer Boy and he was relating things we saw to things we'd read about. It was so cool!

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:i want to say they were on food network at thanksgiving time...

6. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT

I think it was more recent than that. It was the new show "Will Work for Food." I missed it though! I'll be watching for it to repeat like they always do! [​IMG]

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA

I think it was more recent than that. It was the new show "Will Work for Food." I missed it though! I'll be watching for it to repeat like they always do! [​IMG]

ooh i didnt see that one! darn!!..i was talking about the one where they cooked the thanksgiving meal over the hearth and all.....did you see it? maybe it wasnt food network..but i think it was..i love that channel...[​IMG]

8. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I told my dh that I want to take our daughter there this year.
    I love OSV. My aunt does something with the BOT

9. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:I think it was more recent than that. It was the new show "Will Work for Food." I missed it though! I'll be watching for it to repeat like they always do! [​IMG]

ooh i didnt see that one! darn!!..i was talking about the one where they cooked the thanksgiving meal over the hearth and all.....did you see it? maybe it wasnt food network..but i think it was..i love that channel...[​IMG]

A quick google shows that Al Roker filmed something about Thanksgiving dinner being cooked there. I vaguely remember seeing it. If I know when the new show will be re-aired I'll post!
    We could have a BYC gathering at OSV!!!

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:ooh i didnt see that one! darn!!..i was talking about the one where they cooked the thanksgiving meal over the hearth and all.....did you see it? maybe it wasnt food network..but i think it was..i love that channel...[​IMG]

A quick google shows that Al Roker filmed something about Thanksgiving dinner being cooked there. I vaguely remember seeing it. If I know when the new show will be re-aired I'll post!
    We could have a BYC gathering at OSV!!!

yeah! that was it! ooh, good idea a BYC gathering there!...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by