Our dog.....Beagle/Jack Russell Mix

GeneviaJ

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 14, 2011
hit.gif
Our beloved beagle/jack russell mix, Ellie, got ahold of 2 of our precious chickens. DH took the aviary netting off of the top of the run and I didn't know it. Well, because he never told me, I didn't think twice about letting the dogs out like usual. Apparently 1 of our araucana's (my favorite), and our last rhode island red got out, and she got them, and killed them. We started out with 8 chickens & 2 ducks, we're now down to 5 chickens, & 2 ducks. :-/ DH took the aviary netting off because it was weighed down by leaves that had fallen & we couldn't get them off. Does anyone know what we can use or do to prevent more chickens from getting out of the run?

Try raising the fence and clipping their wings. Mine don't even try to go over my 4 ft. fence because their wings were clipped when they started trying to go airborn. Now they don't think they can.

Ditto Mulewagon - we put in long 2/4s to create tented peaks; and every now and then go inside with a leaf blower and blow off any leaves that did collect. Takes just a minute or two and its done.

Back
Top Bottom