Our dog.....Beagle/Jack Russell Mix

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by GeneviaJ, Dec 12, 2011.

1. GeneviaJ

GeneviaJ Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2011
    [​IMG] Our beloved beagle/jack russell mix, Ellie, got ahold of 2 of our precious chickens. DH took the aviary netting off of the top of the run and I didn't know it. Well, because he never told me, I didn't think twice about letting the dogs out like usual. Apparently 1 of our araucana's (my favorite), and our last rhode island red got out, and she got them, and killed them. We started out with 8 chickens & 2 ducks, we're now down to 5 chickens, & 2 ducks. :-/ DH took the aviary netting off because it was weighed down by leaves that had fallen & we couldn't get them off. Does anyone know what we can use or do to prevent more chickens from getting out of the run?
  2. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Try raising the fence and clipping their wings. Mine don't even try to go over my 4 ft. fence because their wings were clipped when they started trying to go airborn. Now they don't think they can.
  3. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    You could put a tall pole or two under the netting, to raise it up so the leaves won't gather in the middle...
  4. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    how big of a space do you need to cover? i use an old fishing net, doubled over, on top of my small kennel.
  5. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    Ditto Mulewagon - we put in long 2/4s to create tented peaks; and every now and then go inside with a leaf blower and blow off any leaves that did collect. Takes just a minute or two and its done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by