Our dog is jealous of our new chicks.....pix...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mmtillman, Apr 4, 2009.

1. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Each time I go to the coop to check the chicks...my dog, Scoobie , joins me , but , cries at my feet [​IMG] [​IMG] ....She never acts like this ?!.....so I asked her what was wrong and she jumped [​IMG] up in my lap !!! She never does that either!!
    Now this is her 'spot' when I am sitting with the chicks.....

[​IMG]

2. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Cute pix [​IMG]

3. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    Maybe she wants to watch the cute babies too. Hope she doesn't think that they are cool squeeky toys.

4. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    LOL our dog is the same way, he sits but when I put the baby ducks on the ground my dog just adores them he licks them and they sit inbetween his two front paws while he is laying down. "Goose" our pet duck loves to sit on "Winston"'s our dog's back its adorable I need to get a photo and post it for you. You should see what your dog does if you set a chick on the floor just make sure it can't reach it with its mouth. Usually ducks get along better with my dogs though the chicks don't like the licking.

5. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    My German Shepherds always have to go with me and check on the babies. They stand there with their big snoots hanging into the box as the babies run for dear life. [​IMG] My male lays outside the door and gaurds them when we are finished, but retreats after 15 minutes are so.

6. hoosierfarmgirl

hoosierfarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    My German Short Haired Pointer is also very uptight about our 1 1/2 week old chicks. We've had the chicks exactly 1 week now. She always goes with me to check the chicks. She quivers and whines. A couple of times she has acted like she would try to scoop one up in her mouth if she could reach one. I'm hoping, hoping she will settle down soon! Anyone else have experience with a German Shorthair? I know they have a strong prey drive, but she's always been able to get used to kittens, despite wanting to eat them at first. This is her first experience with chicks.
    [​IMG]

7. rhondapiper

rhondapiper Chillin' With My Peeps

A lot of female dogs get very stressed out by the sounds of peeping and squealing because they instinctively want to care for puppies when they whine and cry. So maybe the peeping is telling her these are babies that need care.

I've heard a lot of stories about female dogs that 'mother' their squeaky toys and become distressed when they accidentally make one squeak!

Of course, not all female dogs are like that...mine tears the squeakers out of her toys and pops them. She won't be meeting my chicks.

8. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Rhonda, my male does the same thing, tears out the squeaker and pulls off the eyeballs, but give him a baby chick and he does not bother it, or them. He can have them climbing all over him and no problem.

9. silentrunning

silentrunning Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Venice, Florida
    My male Labrador Retriever, Oakley, loves our young chickens. One of the cochins and Oakley have become best buddies. Oakley will guard them out in the yard for hours. He even keeps them in line and won't let them climb on anything. He knows the chairs are for Mom & Dad - not the chickens. He is very gentle and even picks them up in his mouth if they don't obey. He somehow knows to keep them away from the road.

Doug

[​IMG]

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

One of my dogs does the same thing with the licking and all. When I fostered kittens, he did the same to them! Its really cute. After a while though, the little ones get tired of all that licking and wish he'd go away.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by