Our dog killed a mink!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by colleensstuff, Nov 6, 2009.

1. colleensstuff

colleensstuff Chillin' With My Peeps

About a week ago we lost 6 chickens to what we thought was a weasel. Each chicken had a hole in it's head and the blood was sucked out. This morning my husband went out to pick up some things in the yard and near the dog he found a dead mink. This is Tino, our dog we rescued from the pound with his trophy. Good dog! One of our cats is congratulating him too, he hates cats.
    [​IMG]

2. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    [​IMG] Good dog! And that is one brave cat! lol

3. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG] Good dog!!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Good for Tino. Maybe he can get some spending money when he sells the pelt. There ought to be a contest for the best Predator slaying dog(cat) of the year., on this forum, also Best flock protecting Roosters mainly of whom gave up their lives to do so. Roos could certainly use some good pr.

5. colleensstuff

We do have a cat that killed a huge possum. I opened the door to the building where I put the cat food so Tino can't eat it and the cats can have a place to go when Tino decides to chase them. There was a big possum laying there dead. Then I saw one of the tom cats was missing his right eye. I guess it must have been a pretty bad fight, but the cat won and he's just fine now. I call him One Eye, of course.

6. the Old Rebel

the Old Rebel Rest in Peace -2011

May 12, 2007
    Hendersonville NC
    Can I borrow your dog for awhile?? What I'd give to get rid of our weasel or mink!!

GOOD DOG!!!!! GREAT DOG!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] What kind of dog is it?? I NEED a dog like that!!! Way to go, Tino!!!

7. TarzantheChickenMan

TarzantheChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2009
    Guthrie, MN
    wow ive trapped mink on a line years ago with my little brother they are one critter its a good thing they are so small any bigger and they would take out herds of cows lol
    huh new trend rescue dogs rescuing chickens

8. colleensstuff

We were told by the women at the pound that he was part Husky, but they were just guessing. He does have enough hair for two dogs, though. He's great with the chickens, the hens use him as a big soft foot warmer in the winter. I'll look out the window and there's Tino with a half a dozen hens sitting on him. I'll post a picture of it if I can find it. We found him online through petfinder.com. It's a listing of all the dog shelters around the country. We got him at the St. Cloud, MN pound. He was house broken, leash trained and neutered and he only cost $75. The only problem we've had besides his cat hatred is he's terrified of gunfire, thunder and fireworks. He's seems to be getting over that though, because today is the season opener for deer hunting and Tino is outside sleeping in the yard instead of hiding next to the couch in the house. He's also nice to the delivery people, UPS, Fedex and Speedee, which is a plus since he's so big. He's been a great dog. After our old dog died we started losing chickens every night to possums, so we had to find a good guard dog. We have some bantam OE crosses that insist on roosting in the crab apple tree next to our bedroom window. The possums started taking them one right after another until we got Tino.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    OOh GOOD dog! I wish mine would do that! I HATE minks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by