Our dog killed our sweet chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chick-habit, Jul 16, 2016.

1. chick-habit

chick-habit Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2016
    los angeles, ca
    Today I sat out a little leftover cat food for the chickens. Everything was fine, our dog left them alone to eat. But she must have wanted the last bit because before I knew it she was on top of our sweetest girl. I reprimanded the dog thinking it was just a little tussle. I go outside to find our sweet violet flopping around and she died in my hands. I'm beside myself with guilt. I should have never put the food where the dog would go. At the most I thought she would bark or even snap at them but I didn't know she would break their neck. I can't stop crying and beating myself up about it. I keep thinking of all the things I could have done differently. This is our first time having chicks and we've only had them for 12 weeks. I've done everything to keep them safe, happy and healthy and I make this one mistake and now my beautiful girl is dead.

2. Yoako

Yoako Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2015
    Not your falt at all. It happens. Do not beat your self up, anyone could of done it. :hugs

3. chick-habit

chick-habit Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2016
    los angeles, ca
    Thank you. It helps to hear that. Everyone keeps telling me that and my husband says he doesn't blame me at all. I just feel so bad for her because she was such a sweet girl.

4. Yoako

Yoako Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2015
    any time, I'm sure she had a great life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by