Our dog passed on. Can chickens eat wet dog food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TinyLittleFarm, Jul 7, 2011.

1. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Our dog passed away last night. He was 12, but has been healthy. It was pretty sudden. Sad day around here.

How does this relate to chickens, you ask? We have quite a bit of soft dog food left and I'm wondering if I can feed it to the chickens. They love meat when I give it to them as a rare treat, and I don't see anything in the list of ingredients that is obviously bad for chickens. It is 8% protein. Can you think of any reason I can't give it to the birds? If the chickens shouldn't eat it I'll donate it to the animal shelter.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    I'm pretty sure my friend puts warm water on the dog's dried food to make it moist and she gives it to her chickens as a treat.... I've heard of giving cat food too so I would imagine that your birds can eat the dog food. I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I'm new to the whole chicken thing so maybe you'd better wait until someone else chimes in.

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

My chickens have stolen so much dog and cat food over the years it's just insane.. never hurt them at all.. though it did upset the cats when they got chased away from their food dishes by the feathered horde

4. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I'm sorry about your dog, that's really hard. [​IMG] I'd feel better donating the dog food. It certainly won't hurt your chickens, though.

5. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Quote:Xs 2 [​IMG] that said am very sorry for the loss of your friend [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by