1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our Dog saved our flock

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Their Other Mother, May 29, 2008.

1. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    Our big dog Herbie is very old and white in the face, he's a little over weight but in his day he could chase down anything, coyotes, rabbits, deer, javelina, birds, squirrels, whatever. We adopted him as a puppie from a non-kill shelter almost 12 years ago. He looks like a doberman/ridgeback mix but he could have some Vissula (sp?) He has been the best dog in the whole world. We keep him inside at night now because I'm afraid the coyotes would gang up on him. We live in a rural desert area outside of Phoenix, surrounded by mountains so we have quite a diverse selection of wildlife.

Anyway, early this morning about 4:00am I was awakened by the shrill yips of Coyotes right under our bedroom window. We have a Chicken tractor close to the back patio and I knew that was their goal. Herbie jumped up and was barking as we both ran to the back door with my husband right behind. I reached for the door and the lights, Herbie got out before me and was off to the races! The Danes were barking but they are still too young to go after coyotes alone so they never left the patio untill Herbie did. We heard 4 coyotes but there were more, about 6 total. 2 were within 3 feet of the Hens. I don't think they could have gotten into the tractor but you know they were going to try.

I was so proud of Him barking & running like a young dog again - then I got afraid that they would get him, but they didn't . All the dogs were back on the patio in about 25 minutes, sleeping like nothing happened! The Hens were fine and never even acted scared. My husband & I were up, hearts pounding and by the time we were ready to fall asleep, it was time to get up!

So: THREE CHEERS FOR HERBIE!!!
    (and I don't even have a good picture to post)
    [​IMG]

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    GOOD GOING HERBIE my basset hound suprised me she is very friendly to other dogs but the dog who did get one of my hens got out of his electric fence agian and he is a 180 pound huge lab and he started chasing her friends the chickens. she wen howling after him biting him all the way and trying to get him to chase her insetead. I eventually decked the dog and saved the hens and told the owner even though she is a great friends and tries her best I can make no promises next time :|

Great story I love it when animals suprise me like this,
    Henry

3. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Rah! Rah! Rah!

Go Herbie, you show them what is what!

4. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    We have always had a dog mostly Border Collies or Blue Heelers and a Dachound now! The good thing about having a good dog around is that it lets U know if something is going wrong. I had a Blue Heeler one time that I could tell by the bark what it was going on outside, like a skunk crossing the yard, human, cow out, another dog and so just by the sound of the bark she made. I know it costs alot to feed an o'l mutt but its worth it to me.

5. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    Quote:I agree! You wouldn't believe some of the great things this dog has done - Hollywood should make a movie! I'd tell but no one would believe me!

6. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Yes! Way to go Herbie! Very Very Good Doggy! [​IMG]

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    [​IMG] Go Herbie Go Herbie

Give em the what for!

8. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    WooHoo!

A positive dog story! Hugs for Herbie! [​IMG]

Our 8 year old Aussie is also "chicken beneficial."

Her previous owners blamed her for everything gone wrong (it was the Terrier, all the time, I know it was!).

Skip and I brought her home and noticed right off that she never dug up the garden. Instead she followed my foot-steps to insure that seedlings were safe.

A few years later, we get into chickens, and still have Pepper Anne, the Aussie. Truth be told, she's the best surrogate Mom, EVER! [​IMG] We've lost one chick to a genetics problem and that has been it out of almost 40-something. Pepper keeps idiots at bay, as best she can, which she's done well at as they don't have the courage to mess around our place. If they get past the dog, they have me and 2 hand guns to deal with! [​IMG]

Recently, doc_gonzo and I totaled out our Sporster when someone ran their red light. I was in the hospital for 2 - 3 days. Pepper was home alone with 2 young chicks in the brooder. I got home, suspecting Pepper had chose the chicks for a meal, since I wasn't home to feed her. The first thing she did, was go show me that the chicks were fine and now where's my dinner. Talk about "good dog". We've done our best to spoil/treat Pepper, ever since!

One of our buck rabbits is an escape artist. I tell Pepper to keep him safe, and she did for a full week until I could catch him again.

Here's a pic of our adoptee who was supposedly the worst kinda dog. with the 8 week old chicks, last year..

[​IMG]

Dawn

9. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    great post [​IMG]

10. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    There really is no substitute for a good dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by