Our Dog's Obsessive Habit - Help?!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Picky Chicky, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Our year old German Shep has taken a major liking to trying to seek out the chicken poop pile. I know this can't be good for her, but I'm concerned about just how bad it might be. Aside from sealing it all in a plastic garbage bag, I've been trying to keep her away from the compost pile.

Any suggestions? Also, can you tell me if this is quite dangerous for her or harmless?

I was feeling a little lazy about searching the message boards... hoping this isn't a big repeat.

2. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    It's pretty common & wont do her harm apart from giving her worms & bad breath. I'd just put a little fence around the compost patch.

3. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    My lab has taken a taste to chicken poo too. When I free range them, she goes right behind them acting like a pooper scooper!

She used to get into our cats' litter box too until she learned that was a "bad dog" thing to do.

I have not figured out a way to stop her either. I guess as long as your dog is healthy and is wormed..there shouldn't be any problems. At least that is what I am going by!

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Chicken poop is like candy for a dog. For them the joy of eating chicken poop is only surpassed by the joy of eating that other delicacy, cat poop.

5. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by