Our Dolly passed away Vet says it was "Infectious Hepatitis"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OHalAnimalFarm, Jan 23, 2014.

1. OHalAnimalFarm

OHalAnimalFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Hello BYC er's,

Our Buff Orpington Dolly passed away last week. The Vet has diagnosed what she had as Infectious Hepatitis. We're told it is contagious to us ( humans ) and our other chickens/animals.

We have 3 chickens left. All seem healthy, hungry and active.

The Vet is recommending a house visit and having all 3 chickens cultured (a VERY hefty price tag ) to find out if they have caught the disease. It was also recommend that we hold off on eat our eggs until we know the results.

I have a few questions I wanted to get your input on. See them below. Any one else who has experienced this or knows helpful information is greatly appreciated. We are weighing our options to test or not test or only test one of them etc.

THANK YOU in advance.

- Can you catch this disease from eating the eggs? Is it rare?
    - Should we get tested ( humans ) - vaccinated?
    - Should our friends and family be alarmed from having eaten our eggs too?
    - Is this genetic or from the environment/food - IF from food what types of food?

I know these types of questions may only be able to be answered by a Vet but Im looking for other people who may of experienced this OR who have any type of insight. A 2nd 3rd or 4th opinion is all I am in search of.

Felicia

1 person likes this.
  2. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    sorry for your loss... did the vet say if it was hepatitis-e or inclusion hep?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  3. OHalAnimalFarm

Jan 23, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Good question! He didn't say. I just called to request that info but I think they may be out for the day.

4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Sorry for your loss! I haven't even heard of it until now but here is what I found:

http://www.octagon-services.co.uk/articles/poultry/avh.htm

"Recently, field reports (Young - personal communication) have found that tiamulin at 25mg/kg bodyweight administered in the drinking water for 5 days, has proven to be very effective in the therapy of this condition, in birds not too severely affected and are still able to drink."

I would suggest treating the rest of your flock.

5. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

You don't need to pay an arm and a leg for cultures. You can bring swabs to your state vet and they will do the cultures for about $5 each.

6. OHalAnimalFarm

Jan 23, 2014
    Los Angeles
    This is great news! I'll search to find out state vet. Let me know if you have a good site that can provide this info as well.

Felicia

7. OHalAnimalFarm

Jan 23, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Thank you - appreciate the info!!

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  10. Tacswa3

Tacswa3 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2013
    MD
    I've done heard it all now............now chickens are a threat of passing hepatitis to humans???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by