Our duo’s back to two...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rlmp817, May 8, 2018.

1. Rlmp817

Rlmp817 Songster

Mar 24, 2018
    Atascadero, CA
    well, not quite yet, but if the two suspected Roos are confirmed I have 2 questions:
    1.)would a mini flock of 2 chickens and a turkey be happy(at least until thanksgiving?) or should I (again) look for age appropriate pullets to grow our flock back to 4?

2.) what age do you cull roosters? Hubby is 100% against a roo atm, and I am not sure I can change his mind in 1, and I KNOW we can’t keep 2.

Attached Files:

chickens really likes this.
  2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Yes if your planning to Butcher?
    16 weeks is a good age to Butcher..

aart and Rlmp817 like this.
  3. Rlmp817

Rlmp817 Songster

Mar 24, 2018
    Atascadero, CA
    Ps, photo above is from a few weeks ago, I don’t have any current group photos.
    They are all between 6-8 weeks.

4. Rlmp817

Rlmp817 Songster

Mar 24, 2018
    Atascadero, CA
    The Roos are looking like mixed breeds, so I don’t think rehoming will be an option. I am reaching out to the breeder on one that she was ‘SO sure is a female’ and see if we could exchange that one. But I want to be prepared just in case.

5. chickens really

Butcher when they look the right size. You can butcher Hens too..

Rlmp817 likes this.
  6. Rlmp817

Rlmp817 Songster

Mar 24, 2018
    Atascadero, CA
    Ultimately we do what to have meat chickens several times a year, but we are wanting to get our laying flock established first.
    Guess this could be a good intro to make sure we know what we are getting into :rolleyes:

7. chickens really

Oh, I see what your trying to accomplish I think?..
    Then buy Duel purpose Breeds and then Butcher the Cockerels and keep the Hens for one or two seasons for eggs. Get a couple Broody Hens to set eggs for you too. Also keep one Rooster..Then you can swap out the old for the new each time as needed?

Eryniel and Rlmp817 like this.
  8. Rlmp817

Rlmp817 Songster

Mar 24, 2018
    Atascadero, CA
    I think that would be the most efficient process. We are still debating that part though

Right now, we have 2 layer pullets (barred rock & speckeled Sussex) and 2 mix breed Roos. Figuring out what to do with this batch of Roos is first priority.
    I think keeping one might be a good plan.

9. chickens really

IMG_0475.JPG
    Yes, I breed Cosses too. Heritage Breeds. Brahma/Amuerucana Rooster to Orpington Hens..

10. Rlmp817

Rlmp817 Songster

Mar 24, 2018
    Atascadero, CA
    Do you think 2 pullets would be happy though? Do they need more flock mates?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: