Our Easter Egger stopped laying

Branch Chickens

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 17, 2014
China, Maine
We have a flock of 10 hens. They are currently 27 weeks old, and only three of them have begun to lay (it's November in Maine). One of our early layers, our Easter Egger, began to lay back in August, at about 19 weeks.

She was our most consistent layer, laying nearly every day, laying a double yolker every 3 days or so. Back in early October, I began to notice her hanging out around the coop more often, entering nesting boxes but not laying. She laid a couple of soft shelled eggs off the roost at night, and laid one snarled up mess of egg shell liner (the white membrane) but no good eggs.

Since then, she has not laid. In contrast, the other super early layer came back from a period of non-laying, laying perfect eggs. I have been waiting to see if our EE will do the same, but it has been about a month now with no eggs.

I see no visible sign of worms. She seems perky and interested in all that is going on around her, but she no longer squats. Our other two layers continue to lay consistently and well. The entire flock has been on layer ration since 17 weeks, and they are offered additional calcium in the form of oyster shell, free choice. They free range on our property, except in the case of inclement weather.

I would appreciate any advice you can give! Football is our favorite chicken, and we miss her eggs. She has a home, no matter what, but I would love to see her laying again.

* I am no expert and the odds are that any advice I give is faulty, however, I will try and help you.

As far as the soft shells go the calcium should help that. However, the lack of eggs could be several different things. She could be shutting down for winter, I've no idea what Maine weather Is like though, or if they free range a lot, she could have made a nest of her own elsewhere. I know that in pullets starting to lay they do sporadic laying/not laying spurts until they get the hang of it.

Whatever the case I hope I helped atleast a little and I hope your girl starts laying again. :)

Back
Top Bottom