1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our EE laid her first egg (and ours)!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cicene mete, Dec 12, 2008.

1. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    I'm so excited I posted this picture in the "first egg" thread as well.

Yay! At 22 weeks, two days, we got our first egg. The weather has been very cold, but the sun came out today, and there in the nest box next to the golf balls was a little green egg. Stripey, our little EE who makes a ton of noise all the time is the likely layer. I would have thought our our RIR or one of the BOs would've been first. All is forgiven, Stripey! (Although I really hope she calls it with the constant racket).

[​IMG]

On another note, my RIR went into the nest box today and "bore down" (if you know what I mean) for a minute or two and then left the nest without laying an egg. Is this normal behavior before they finally start laying?

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    that is so exciting and what a pretty egg!

yep, normal for chickens to get 'into the groove' before laying. they get really interested in the nest boxes too.

hope you get tons!

3. cicene mete

Jun 19, 2008
    Thanks, Miss Jayne. It really is a pretty egg. I'm so proud of her (silly, huh?). Here's a better picture in which you can really see how green it is:

[​IMG]

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    just beautiful, and no, it's not silly! it really is fun, and you put lots of work and effort into raising an animal! so, no! not silly at all!

step 1. raise your right hand
    step 2. place right hand on back

repeat, many times very quickly!

5. allisojo

allisojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2008
    Nuevo Mexico
    That's fantastic - and pretty! I've got two EEs that are at 18 weeks, and I'm counting the days until our first eggs arrive. No suspicious behavior just yet, but hopefully we'll see some soon.

6. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Congrats on your first egg! It is so exciting! [​IMG]

7. cicene mete

Jun 19, 2008
    Thanks everybody. It really is neat after months of raising these 6 birds, one of which turned out to be male, two of which got sick (one gravely, who thankfully is better now) to see an egg in that little box.

On a related note, does anyone know how to blow out an egg? We like to say this one, it being our first and all.

I called my grandmother, who is 89 years old, to tell her. She was very excited and told me all about the chickens she had as a little girl. Before she hung up she said, "Mazel Tov!" I laughed so hard at that, but it's kind of true.

8. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Mazel Tov (congratulations) are in order! To blow out an egg, use a needle to make a hole in each end, put you lips to one end & blow(into a bowl)!

9. cicene mete

Jun 19, 2008
    Thanks danischi24 for the congratulations and the advice. How are things in Israel? I imagine you would get a lot of eggs with all the daylight in winter. I have some family in Israel, but they are in Tel Aviv and Haifa, and anyway, none of them have chickens. Man are they missing out.

I hope you soon get your silkie!

10. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats on your first EE egg. Ours are 17 1/2 weeks old and I hope they lay some green/blue eggs like yours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by