our egg hatched!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by greytmommy, Oct 28, 2011.

1. greytmommy

greytmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    my little "depressed" (aka broody) OEGB hatched her egg! We weren't expecting it to hatch for another week! I was in the kitchen (this hen is a house chicken, but we want to transition her outside), and I heard peeping! I look in her cage & see a broken egg. I haven't actually seen the chick yet....but I saw part of her butt & it is ligt colored. Little Mama is VERY protective! It wil be fun to see what baby looks like. Rooster is a blue splash bantam cochin.....hen was an EE (not sure which one...we have 3). So this will be an interesting looking chicken! Haha.
    I will try to get pictured for you all soon.

2. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Yes! We want pictures [​IMG]

3. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    Congrats!!

4. greytmommy

greytmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    ok, I dont have a picture yet...will try to do that today. BUT we got a video that hubs made of them together....I will get it uploaded to youtube for y'all.

The chick is a cross of EE and bantam cochin. It is yellow w/ about 5 dark spots. It has yellow legs, but feathers down the legs and on ONE toe! lol. The stinkin' chick is half the size of the OEGB already! [​IMG]

Some questions:
    cant find chick crumbles....the store is all out. What should I suppliment the regular chicken food with? eggs? cat food??

Since winter is coming, at what age can I move them outside?? I was planning on introducing BOTH the OEGB and the chick to the flock. We are hoping since there will be 2 of them (and the chick will be a larger chicken compared to mama hen), that it will minimize the flock picking on the tiny OEGB.

Anything else special I need to do? got a small water and feeder in there....they seem happy. chick is up moving around, peeping like crazy.......

Sure hope this chick isnt a roo!!! I dont know if my flock would accept another roo..............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by