Our Egg Mobile, Egg Cart'n, Roaming Hen House... etc

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LindaKl, Aug 12, 2013.

1. LindaKl

LindaKl New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    Tn
    We've referred to this website many times in learning about chickens. Seems every time we did a search about the chickens it sent us to this site. Sooo... I couldn't wait until we[​IMG][/IMG] could post pictures of our chicken coop along with all the other neat ideas here.
    We started with an old hay wagon frame and built up from there. The side walls swing out to allow cross ventilation in the summer (there is chicken wire underneath). There is a wire floor to allow droppings to pass through with a plywood walkway down the middle and roosts on both sides. A 35 gallon barrel supplies water to an inside and outside bell waterer, and a feeder and feed storage. The solar charger mounted on the front and[​IMG] electric tape with step in posts keep the horses in the pasture from destroying it. When it's time to move to a new spot, we slide the ramp into a slot below the center aisle and hook the tongue of the wagon to the 4 wheeler. We don't get eggs yet, but have built a drop down door on the rear to easily collect eggs from outside. The chickens free range, and I know it's time to move them when they venture farther from the house for bugs/seeds. No problem with predators yet...knock on wood.

Thanks for all your posts and pictures, we have enjoyed them.
    Linda

2. LindaKl

LindaKl New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    Tn
    [​IMG]

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Wow, pretty cool!!
    Not seeing any nests tho?

Does the poop fall thru the 1/2" hardware cloth....or do you have to push it thru somehow?

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Wow! Welcome to the site LindaKl :) Glad you joined us

5. LindaKl

LindaKl New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    Tn
    Thank you... the nesting boxes haven't been set in yet. I'll need to put them in soon as the girls are getting almost that age.
    Most of the droppings fall right through but we take a stiff push broom and give it a brushing sometimes.
    I love looking at everyones designs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by