Our eggs don't fit in the carton! :-D

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nonny, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    The last few days the egg song has been ridiculously loud, and repeated often before, during and after each bird goes in the nest box. Usually I am lucky to hear one song each day as my girls are not the most vocal.

I decided it's getting a bit hot in the kitchen to keep storing eggs on the bench, so this morning I tried to put them in an old egg carton I had in the craft cupboard so I could store them in the fridge, and they don't fit! LOL The eggs from last week do, but the last few days worth are all too fat to fit in the holes in the carton. They aren't particularly heavy I don't think.... one from this morning weighed in at 65 grams (= 2.3 ounces I think?).

This is obviously why all teh noise has been happening.... I recall making a fair bit more noise labouring with my bigger baby then the smaller ones. [​IMG]

Such a nice "problem" to have really. Does this signal the end of the pullet bullets? The girls are only about 10 or 11 months old.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I would say yes...I get some double yolkers still after 3 weeks of laying...so large the lid doesn't shut on the cartons! LOVE IT

3. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    Isn't it great... I swear sometimes I think some of my girls are part goose...

4. MOChickenz

MOChickenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Missouri
    I love having that problem!

5. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Now thats a really good problem! We have some of the cartons for camping to protect the eggs and farm fresh hardly fit in them. Have to take the banty eggs camping!LOL

6. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    What a wonderful problem to have!!

7. Blessedchickens

Blessedchickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Weatherford, Texas
    Quote:Funny you say that I am having that trouble with a couple of my Austalorp hens. One in particular is laying huge eggs. I think she must be part emu! [​IMG]
    As you said not a bad problem to have . . . except when trying to store them!

8. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:Funny you say that I am having that trouble with a couple of my Austalorp hens. One in particular is laying huge eggs. I think she must be part emu! [​IMG]

I have an Australorp that does that too....

9. Blessedchickens

Blessedchickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Weatherford, Texas

I have an Australorp that does that too....

That's it! I am convinced someone bred them to emus somewhere down the line. FYI I call her my dinosaur chicken because she quite big. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by