Our evening visitors....*Update pg 2*

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SunAngel, Apr 29, 2009.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I was out giving the chickens water and locking them up last night around 8 pm and went to walk over to the back door where I had set the water buckets, when I was greeted by visitors....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had no clue what they were, til I found pics of them on McMurray hatchery. I had no clue Chukar Partridge were so pretty.

These two let my whole family corner them and let me sit inches from them. I even was able to pet both of them, before they decided they were done being stared at and flew off. They are in my neighbors yard this morning.

Would wild ones let you get that close? I am wondering if they were someones pets and they let them go. I am tempted to catch them if they come back over here today and let me get that close again.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. bradandcas

bradandcas Out Of The Brooder

Wow nice looking birds!

3. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Beautiful! I don't know much about chukar but letting you get that close makes me think they were raised by people. Maybe they got out of their enclosure? They seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.

4. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    They seem to be ok, but they may have only escaped yesterday. One of my neighbors called me to ask if they were one of my chickens lol.

There are a lot of stray cats around here and one of my cats gets out on occasion, she is a hunter. I am worried if they are that domesticated that they will trust the wrong creature.

I don't want to take a wild creature out of its habitat, but I don't want domesticated birds getting killed either, just because someone didn't want them anymore.

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Pretty. I've never seen them before. Maybe they did belong to someone?
    If they let you pet them, I'm sure you could probably catch them without much work. Good luck!

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Very pretty! Did you catch them?

7. Wow beautiful birds!

8. byrandom

byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    I wouldn't expect wild birds of any type let you pet them...

That's how we got our ringneck dove colony.. Someone had released them all, and one at a time, we caught them and put them in the cages we had prepared before hand...

9. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Wow!! They are very different looking!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    If you pet them, I would say they are someone's pets. I don't think they have wild chukar in PA.

In North America, successful populations have established themselves in mountainous, rocky, arid areas throughout the western states and the current distribution is centered around the Great Basin area, including Nevada, western Utah, southwestern Idaho, northeastern California, and southeastern Oregon. In the east, game farm birds are released for hunting, but successful populations have not established themselves (Christensen 1996; Del Hoyo 1994).

Catch them and put an ad on craigslist that you found a friendly pair of "gamebirds" and let the person contacting you tell you what they lost. That way you can find the correct owner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by