Our family is into off-roading...

E-Chick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Ramona
We have an LS-1, long travel sand car. It's a big step up from a "dune buggy".

We go to sand dunes in the Imperial Sand Dune Recreational Area (ISDRA) of the Algodones Dunes in southern California. Otherwise known as Glamis.

http://www.duneguide.com/sand_dune_guide_isdra.htm

http://www.glamisdunes.com

Our family has connected with about 14 or so other families. The "desert season" runs from Oct-Apr, give or take a few weeks - weather dependent. We usually go there for a 3-4 day weekend every other week during that period.

One of our buddies will excitedly claim that "We killed it again!!!" after a great dune run (they are all good runs!). I decided to come up with a name for our group, and took his saying and turn it into the "Killin' It Krew" or KIK for short.

The KIK is pretty well known in the duning portion of the off-roading world. Our guys really get into their wheelies, jumps, and fast dune runs. We take safety very seriously. We have spotters out if we are jumping or doing wheelies. Our cars are very well made, custom cars. And, we also use car to car radio headsets to communicate.

I never drive. I love just being in the passenger seat! My hubby is an excellent duner. It's a blast! If you have never been to the sand dunes, I highly recommend a trip to any that are around this beautiful country. Spend the day, a weekend, or a week!

smile.png

This is my hubby and I flying in our sand car...
cool.png

29453_shawns_easter_pics_2007_006.jpg

This is my hubby doing a wheelie down a dune hill:

29453_img_7660.jpg

Last edited:
I love 4-wheeling. Unfortunately I am married to a worrier who freaked whenever I took the truck up Mt. Baldy or took the back country trail by Sand Dunes Ntl Monument (Colorado).

Since some moron smashed in to my Jimmy he is much more relaxed...I drive a Golf now!
gig.gif

Here's a few youtube.com links of our group.

My hubby is "Referman"...he does commercial refrigeration...not drugs! Our car is blue with white flames and double white racing stripes over the hood, roof, and tail.

Hope that you enjoy our videos!

This one is a mix of our group and the general public off roading:

I have a S10 that I used to take 4 wheeling all the time when I was in college. I used to go to NC, IN, WV, PA, and a place not far from home here in Ohio to wheel. It was mostly trails and some smaller rocks since the truck didn't have much lift. It was a blast. We started swapping it to a solid front axle and life kind of got in the way so it's been a work in progress for 3-4 years now.
sad.png
I miss camping and wheeling!

Here's a couple pics I could find of the truck (she just had a 3" body lift, 31" tires, and the 3.4L Camaro engine I put in her, but she did well and I had a great time seeing what she could do!)

This was steeper than it looked and everyone told me I couldn't make it up it with my truck, but I did.
smile.png

DSCN0689.jpg

This is just a poser shot.
Bethposer2.jpg

Here she is a few years ago when the solid axle swap was partially done... she's sitting on 35s in this picture.
DSCN0353.jpg

BETH I love your TRUCK
love.gif
After looking at your avatar pic all this time, i would haver never guessed you to be the king of the bog/gravel pit
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Thanks! She's my baby!
love.gif
I still have her... just wish I had the money and time to finish her! Lol... my wedding picture is SO not the real me! Make-up and a dress? That happens once in a blue moon! Jeans and a t-shirt and covered in mud, grease, etc is much more normal for me!

Thanks for sharing, Beth!

Life sure has a way of getting in the way of hobbies!

We used to go to the desert in the late '70's early 80's. Got married in '83 (I was 18...now, 44), had 2 kids, started a business...and then, about 20 years later, our son (14 at the time) gets us back into the groove of things, "Mom, I want an ATV...", LOL!

Sure 'nough. We jumped in big time and haven't looked back!

Our kids are grown. Our son is 20 and our daughter will be 24 in a couple of weeks. We will celebrate our 26 anniversary later this month. Great hobby to share with family and friends. Sure wish we didn't let it go by the wayside so many years ago!

Don't let your hobbies, passions, and fun times slip through your fingers...life is WAY too short!

In a million years, I would have never imagined us in a big v-8 sandrail doing wheelies at 70mph! Never! What a blast!

I am into quads and have been doing some cruising. recently, I lack the time to do it regularly. But I think I am going to borrow the quad of my friend and hit the (off-)road or the sand. I have some friends that own quads so it's easy to get one and also fun to go on the road together.

Quote:
Yes, it does. Especially when you farm! It's hard to have any time left to go do other things sometimes.

It sounds like it would be awesome to ride one of those sandrails! I've seen some around at the local place... the guys with those things are the craziest people ever! They'll go up some hills that I can't believe that they can climb! I've never really ridden anything on sand, but it does look fun!

Back
Top Bottom