Our *fancy* coop - gothic playhouse

SpringChickens

Crowing
12 Years
Feb 1, 2009
Lexington, KY
We are in the process of building our new chicken coop! My DH decided that he wanted to building something which will be around to be admired for many years. Dimensions are 6'X8' on the inside, and it will have an enclosed run to one side and open to the front on the other. Chickens will free range during the day and get locked up at night.

The picture from the book... hopefully it will look something like this
22179_dsc00022.jpg

The floor - it is raised on cinder blocks to be able to move someday and to keep it away from pests.

22179_dsc00020.jpg

And here are the chicks waiting patiently for their permanent outdoor home to be finished

22179_dsc00023.jpg

Last edited:
If your coop looks anything like that picture in the book- it will be mighty cute!! Keep us posted with lots of pics of your progress!! Good luck!

Here's the work we got done on it today. It's basically framed up, we *just* need to side it and do the rest of the little details.

We're also trying to decide where to put our nest boxes for easy access. Our thought was to put them on the exterior on either side of the window (can put 2 12X12 boxes on either side for 4 total), then allow access from outside of the building.

Can we put hinged side on the back? Or should we keep it on top?

22179_dsc00002.jpg

22179_dsc00001.jpg

Last edited:
We're making progress on the coop, slowly but surely!! It's been mostly me recently as I've had some free time due to spring break. There's about 6" of screen under the roofline, and the octagons on the front and back are screened for ventilation (about 12" each). The windows also open for ventilation. Here's some new pics

22179_50_side.jpg

Side View

22179_75.jpg

Front View

22179_flashlight_egg.jpg

Flashlight trying to lay an egg. I keep telling him he's not equipped. but he doesn't seem to believe me.

22179_ty_paint.jpg

My daughter's contribution to painting

22179_ty_chicken.jpg

A patiently waiting chicken; very ready for his new coop, I'm sure.

Last edited:
That is sooo cool, its going to look like your daughters play house, hmmm might end up that way because it looks like she loves the chickens. My daughter is now 20 but when she was about 6 she would go out and read books to the chickens we had then, so cute. Great job on the coop, hope mine goes half as well.
smile.png

I think it may very well end up being her play house. We're getting a hard time from relatives for building this "chicken coop" before we build a play house for our daughter. Chickens are here and need a coop... she'll survive without a playhouse for a while. She's only 2, she doesn't really care. She thinks the chicken coop is hers, anyway. It'll just be that much more fun when there are chickens in it!

Back
Top Bottom