Our *fancy* coop - gothic playhouse

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SpringChickens, Feb 15, 2009.

1. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    We are in the process of building our new chicken coop! My DH decided that he wanted to building something which will be around to be admired for many years. Dimensions are 6'X8' on the inside, and it will have an enclosed run to one side and open to the front on the other. Chickens will free range during the day and get locked up at night.

The picture from the book... hopefully it will look something like this
    [​IMG]

The floor - it is raised on cinder blocks to be able to move someday and to keep it away from pests.

[​IMG]

And here are the chicks waiting patiently for their permanent outdoor home to be finished

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    If your coop looks anything like that picture in the book- it will be mighty cute!! Keep us posted with lots of pics of your progress!! Good luck!

3. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Oh, that is so sweet. Enter it into a coop contest!

4. SpringChickens

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Here's the work we got done on it today. It's basically framed up, we *just* need to side it and do the rest of the little details.

We're also trying to decide where to put our nest boxes for easy access. Our thought was to put them on the exterior on either side of the window (can put 2 12X12 boxes on either side for 4 total), then allow access from outside of the building.

Can we put hinged side on the back? Or should we keep it on top?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  5. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    [​IMG] Very nice!

6. SpringChickens

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    We're making progress on the coop, slowly but surely!! It's been mostly me recently as I've had some free time due to spring break. There's about 6" of screen under the roofline, and the octagons on the front and back are screened for ventilation (about 12" each). The windows also open for ventilation. Here's some new pics

[​IMG]
    Side View

[​IMG]
    Front View

[​IMG]
    Flashlight trying to lay an egg. I keep telling him he's not equipped. but he doesn't seem to believe me.

[​IMG]
    My daughter's contribution to painting

[​IMG]
    A patiently waiting chicken; very ready for his new coop, I'm sure.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  7. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    That is sooo cool, its going to look like your daughters play house, hmmm might end up that way because it looks like she loves the chickens. My daughter is now 20 but when she was about 6 she would go out and read books to the chickens we had then, so cute. Great job on the coop, hope mine goes half as well. [​IMG]

8. SpringChickens

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I think it may very well end up being her play house. We're getting a hard time from relatives for building this "chicken coop" before we build a play house for our daughter. Chickens are here and need a coop... she'll survive without a playhouse for a while. She's only 2, she doesn't really care. She thinks the chicken coop is hers, anyway. It'll just be that much more fun when there are chickens in it!

9. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Looking great I love the design!

10. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I'm a sucker for gingerbread, that coop in the picture is awesome - are you going to 'ginger' up the outside like that? I hope so! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by