Our farm reputation procedes us

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by SmartyChick, Mar 15, 2011.

1. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    Ok, so last week my dad got an e-mail from a total stranger asking us to take some baby chicks that they hatched because "I heard you have a farm". [​IMG] Apparently, this city slicker bought 12 fertile eggs and rented an incubator from a farmer as a birthday present for his 2 year old daughter and now that the chicks hatched and the fun was over he needed to get rid of them. [​IMG]:he So now we have 9 chicks that I have no idea how old they are or what breed they are and that I don't really want. [​IMG] My guess is that they are about 2 weeks old.
    Here are the pics, any idea on what breeds?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FeatheredFeline

FeatheredFeline Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Northwest Washington
    The bunch in the last pic look like leghorns. But I'm just taking a shot at it.
    And that 'city slicker' deserves a smack I say!

3. tamberlin

tamberlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Framingham MA
    Your Dad is a good man for taking them in. They are very pretty chicks, esp. the first two.

4. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    tamberlin- Yes! My dad us a very good man, he would never turn anyone away. [​IMG]

Oh, I hope they aren't leghorns....they seem like very nice chicks, not at all flighty.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Very interesting that a "city slicker" with no chicken experience came up with a 75% hatch rate.[​IMG]

6. FoodKillah

FoodKillah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    Quote:lol, that incubator must have been a good one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by