1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our favorite chick might be dying

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by iopele, May 30, 2007.

1. iopele

iopele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    Domino's constipated again and this time I'm not sure he's going to make it. His rear is all red, hot, and swollen, and the down has fallen out, which makes me think he's got an infection going on. He was lying in the brooder this afternoon but when I gave him several drinks of water with an eye dropper, he perked up somewhat. If he's still with us tomorrow I'll get him some antibiotics from the feed store, but I'm really not sure he'll make it until morning. [​IMG] I was stroking him and it's like petting a downy skeleton. I didn't know chicks wasted away so FAST!

I chose to post this here rather than in the Emergencies forum because I don't think there's much that can be done for Domino now. I've given him some olive oil and pedialyte with a dropper, rubbed his belly, and have him in his own little box with a waterer and heat lamp at around 90 degrees. I guess maybe when he was constipated last time, the grit rock that caused it might've scratched or cut him inside, because he's definitely got an infection now.

I guess I just wanted company while this is going on. [​IMG] It's hard enough to lose a chick, but Domino's our favorite baby. I'm still trying to save him, but my hopes aren't high. The kids cried themselves to sleep. It's just so dang sad.

2. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Oh, Iopele

I am so sorry to hear about lil Domino. I sure hope he pulls thru, but I think sometimes they do get that secondary infection.
    Its so heartbreaking to nurse them and then think they are gonna make it, then have them leave on you.
    My thots are with you and lil Domino and your kids.
    Take care
    Jill

3. iopele

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks so much, Jill. Right now Domino's sleeping (standing up--he always has slept standing) and doesn't seem to be in any pain. If he goes during the night, at least I can tell myself he didn't suffer at the end. [​IMG] And now I'll know--if I have to nurse a chick through constipation, PUT IT ON ANTIBIOTICS AFTERWARD! I'm kicking myself for not doing that, but I just didn't know. It's a learning process and I'm right at the beginning of it. [​IMG]

4. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    I hope Domino makes it. Poor little chick. Keep us posted. fingers crossed

5. iopele

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    Domino died in the night. At least he didn't seem like he was in any pain at the end. Thanks for the well wishes, everyone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I'm so sorry. He looks like he was a little sweetie.

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

:aww I am so sorry, I was pulling for little Domino. He sure was a cutie!

8. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    So sorry for your loss. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Kristyne

9. cheepchicks

cheepchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Indiana
    I am so sorry to hear about the cute little baby. My prayers are with you.

Kim

10. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    I'm sorry to hear about Dom! He was a cute little guy. I hope he finds some tasty bugs in Chickie Heaven!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by