Our finally finished starter coop

LadyBug7

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 27, 2014
Northwest OH

Today we finally finished the coop we started building a few months ago! What should have been a couple of days project turned into a couple of months project due to modifications and life in general.
wink.png
We started with these plans from Ana White http://ana-white.com/2012/05/plans/frame-chicken-coop then modified them a bit to fit our Ohio weather.

One modification was a small door on the run so we could let the ladies out to free range. We also insulated the upper triangle-shaped wall on this end.

Second, we didn't cover the whole floor of the loft. But then, since I was worried they'd get cold from the updraft, we added an insulated floor underneath to still allow them to roost on the floor joists.

(The food and water are only in the loft temporarily. I was told to lock them in there for the week so they learn where "bed" is, then they can be let into the run. Once the week is up the food and water will go downstairs)

Another modification was the ability to remove the end triangle in the summer. Right now there's no hardware cloth on it because I was lazy and it will be closed all winter.
big_smile.png
My husband came up with this idea himself and I was quite impressed! He made a track with the router and the piece slides in and out easily.

The last modification was my idea!
yesss.gif
I was worried that even though we tried to critter proof it, something might still be able to get the girls in the loft. So I made a little door that can be latched closed and latched open. It doesn't seal off entirely, but I feel confident that nothing will be able to get in. Plus we plan to pull the ladder every night.

Overall, I am really happy with how it turned out! The girls moved in today and seem to find it cozy.

Last edited:
It's gonna sound mean, but I gotta say it......I see:

No ventilation in the coop(loft?) part .....I'd leave the interior door open.

Not enough space for even 2 full grown large fowl chickens. How old are the chicks pictured, about 4-6 weeks? Depending on breed they may double or triple in size.

A run that may get buried in snow. How much snow do you get there? Maybe you can tarp/cover part of the run.

Water cups that will freeze up even in a heated vessel. Do you have a plan to keep them supplied with liquid water?

Looks great!!! Love all the modification!

I don't think they need to be locked up a week. You can let them out and just put them up in the weeping area every night till they do it in their own, should only take a day or two.

If you add a hardware clothe apron
On
The outside, I'd think it was totally predator proof and wouldn't worry about closing that interior door at night.

Looks great!!! Love all the modification!

I don't think they need to be locked up a week. You can let them out and just put them up in the weeping area every night till they do it in their own, should only take a day or two.

If you add a hardware clothe apron
On
The outside, I'd think it was totally predator proof and wouldn't worry about closing that interior door at night.
Thanks!
thumbsup.gif

It doesn't sound mean.
smile.png
Feedback is always appreciated! To address your concerns, there is a 1 " gap under the black gasket that runs the length of the coop to allow for airflow. We monitoring the loft and if we feel we need to provide more, we will drill holes in the end. As for space, the run is 40 square feet and the upstairs is 10 square feet. The three golden buffs are 7 weeks old today. We already had six inches of snow and once the snow collected on the wire, the run was snow free. That being said, we have plastic shower curtains ready and waiting to cover the run. We do have a plan for water too. An electric dog bowl on cinder blocks will go in the run next week.

Oh good, some folks don't like critique.

Your plans sound pretty good.....that 10 sqft loft will shrink once your chooks are full height because of the A-frame roofline, you also might need to center the ladder for easier access once they're larger.

Good Luck to ya!

Back
Top Bottom