Our first baby ducklings arrived this morning (pics)!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lcammack, Apr 11, 2012.

1. lcammack

lcammack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Hi everyone! I felt the need to show off these little cuties, thank you for indulging me! We are new to ducks, these are our first. We ordered them from Metzer's and they look great, full of energy and running around like crazy. As you will see in the first pic they were jumping out of the box before I could get their very first group photo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Awwwww. Congrats on the new babies!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    X2 adorable [​IMG]

4. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    CUTEEE! I got my ducklings a week and a half ago. They are two weeks today :D Just to warn you though, they grow FAST!!! When I got them, they were the same size as my two chicks, now they are like 3 times their size! I'm surprised the chicks don't notice, they just go on like they usually would. I went outside to the cutest thing last night, they were all huddled together and one of the chicks was on top of one of the ducks and she didn't even mind. They are so CUTE!

5. lcammack

Jul 15, 2011
    I did a lot of reading here and that was one of the most recurring themes, how fast they grow. We planned ahead and the brooder is a 4'x8'x2'h osb box with a sliding center so right now it is about 3'x4' where the baby's are and then we can slide the center and give them more room as they grow until they are using the whole thing. Our temps are very unpredictable here (Pacific NW) last week we had lows of 31 and highs of 67. Today has been about 54 low of 41. So we plan on them needing to be in it probably longer then some areas just to be safe. Thank you all for the nice thoughts. We are in ducky love...they are so precious.

6. loves2hatch

loves2hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Central Iowa
    They are so cute! I also like the little feet mat around the waterer, that's awesome.

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    How much fun!! I am glad they arrived in good condition! What breeds did you get? If I ever ordered ducklings, I would get them from Metzers.

~ Aspen

8. lcammack

Jul 15, 2011
    We got one Welsh, one White Layer (these my girls picked out to be their ducks) and four Golden 300 hybrids. They are still looking great. I ordered from Metzers because we wanted females and we are in Washington so they wouldn't have to long of a trip. We are really enjoying just watching them, they are so cute. They are definitely more skittish then our baby chicks were, so we have a lot of work ahead of us to win them over.

9. lcammack

Jul 15, 2011

Thank you, it is non slip shelf liner. I'm using boot trays under their food and water and they are smooth plastic. I didn't want the babies to be slipping and sliding.

10. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    They're so cute!!! [​IMG] Enjoy your babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by