Our first baby pigeons!

NewPigeonOwner

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2020
B12A2181-F6FD-4962-A077-ACA7F3413A62.jpeg
E568E144-B70E-41BE-9FC6-9ECD5339FD8C.jpeg
EF06EA91-C546-4E96-99B5-13B451D7FB76.jpeg
We got 10 pigeons on June 16th, by July 2nd one of our mated pairs laid eggs. They just hatched today 7/21! I’ve never raised baby pigeons but mom & dad seem to be doing a good job of laying on them and keeping them warm. Do I need to do anything? I’m just giving them space today. This is very exciting as a first time pigeon owner!

Congrats! Well done. Your birds look healthy. Your squabs appear to be two light colored birds. If you 're gonna band them, you will band them at about a week old.

Get some straw on the bare wood under them right away. Or anything that isn't smooth. If you dont, the babys will develop splay leg. That's when the legs start to grow out on the side, not under them. This can cause lasting problems.

What breed of pigeon is in the picture?

I hope this helps!

Congrats! Well done. Your birds look healthy. Your squabs appear to be two light colored birds. If you 're gonna band them, you will band them at about a week old.

Get some straw on the bare wood under them right away. Or anything that isn't smooth. If you dont, the babys will develop splay leg. That's when the legs start to grow out on the side, not under them. This can cause lasting problems.

What breed of pigeon is in the picture?

I hope this helps!

Thank you! I will go get straw for them right now. I have no idea what breed they are. We bought ten from a gentleman on Craigslist. Nothing fancy I’m sure. Both the mom & dad are white pigeons (with a little tan and a little grey). The mom (pictured above) has feet feathers so I’m hoping her babies have them as well! Thanks again!

Thank you! I will go get straw for them right now. I have no idea what breed they are. We bought ten from a gentleman on Craigslist. Nothing fancy I’m sure. Both the mom & dad are white pigeons (with a little tan and a little grey). The mom (pictured above) has feet feathers so I’m hoping her babies have them as well! Thanks again!
Congrats! There is nothing better than your first baby pigeons. Mom and Dad will take care of them. I like to give them some space at first, but I do try to carefully take a peek after the first few days to make sure both are getting fed. I slide my hand under mom and protect the baby from getting accidentally trampled or pecked as I lift her away. In general you can take a hands off approach and let them do it.

Back
Top Bottom