Our First Barred Rock Banties! (Guys or Gals?)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by griswell, Aug 19, 2010.

1. griswell

griswell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Phenix City
    This is the first place we have lived since we got married that will allow tenants to have livestock (in any form) and we could not wait to get our first chickens! We found them at a local farm, and the breeder said that while he could not guarantee sexes, that most of these looked like females based on the coloring. I figured he knew what he was saying, and since there were only nine left, we went ahead and bought all of them. I figured worst came to worst and he had no clue, I'd at least come out 50/50, then give away the cocks.

I have read practically everything I can find on sexing BR's, but all of them seem to go in circles. One site says A is B, another site says B is A, and another site says B and A are both C! So, I have come to the conclusion that unless somebody on here can give me a better idea, I will just have to wait until they crow and lay!

Here are pics of our nine babies. They are between 1 week and 10 days old now according to the date the breeder gave us. I put numbers by each one in case someone had a clear comment about one in particular. What do you think guys? [​IMG]

<><

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    0,1,2,3,4 roosters
    5,6,7,8 pullets
    After they are fully feathered we can confirm 100%.

3. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    just guessing here-don't go on my guess tho,
    0-cockeral
    1-cockeral
    2-cockeral
    3-pullet
    4-cockeral
    5-pullet
    6-pullet
    7-cockeral
    8-pullet

4. griswell

Aug 19, 2010
    Phenix City
    OkieHen:

Okay, that is bizarre. I photographed them in no particular order. Maybe the genders gravitate! [​IMG]

Well, so much for that breeders credibility. *laughs*

5. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    my guess is:
    0) roo
    1) roo
    2) roo
    3) roo
    4) roo
    5) pullet
    6) pullet
    7) pullet
    8) pullet

you should take some new pics in a week or so and see what everyone thinks as they grow

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    0,1,2,3,4 cockerals
    Would like a better head shot on 5, I am leaning towards cockeral on that one too.
    6,7,8 Pullets

7. griswell

Aug 19, 2010
    Phenix City
    Well, the brooder box we were using was getting crowded, so I bought a second tote and divided the chicks between them. I'm trying to keep the "girls" in one and the "boys" in another. The boys will be leaving after I confirm sex, so worst comes to worst I'll have to integrate two groups together when I build their coop and run.

*sigh*

I called the breeder back and told him that what he said was mostly females was actually being called mostly cockerels, and he said that was a matter of opinion, and everybody has one. No buybacks now or ever. I didn't expect him to, but anyway. Next time I'll do my homework a bit better before visiting he farm. [​IMG]

If anyone else has their take on what I have feel free. As it is, I have 3,5,6,7,and 8 in the "pullet" box and 0,1,2, and 4 in the cockerel box. Perhaps I'm being too optimistic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by