1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Our First Broody and Incubator Hatch: a Diary

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by igorsMistress, Jul 12, 2018.

1. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Free Ranging Premium Member 5 Years

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    We have a Rhode Island Red, Ruby, that is broody. I've tried everything :barnie Ice packs, separate cage, boot her out all the time. She won't take no for an answer.:he So tomorrow I pick up some fertile eggs to let her hatch :lol:Naked Neck X Bresse parents, have bow ties. We recently lost two very fluffy Australorps to the heat. The 2 NN's we have are doing quite well :)so we're slowly making a change to these exclusively. I love the way they look!

Ruby is nesting in a box about 15 inches above the dirt floor so I'm going to move her. I have a wire crate to put her in, on the floor, but I'm debating about a towel or something to cover the sides and top. It's pretty hot here right now. Will work on that in the morning. I'm leaving her in with the flock as she's #2 in the pecking order for good reason. Her sister the pigeon slayer is first :gig

I've never done this before. I've had tons of baby pigeons, kittens, puppies, humans. Well ok only a couple of humans. Never a broody chicken though. This will be a first for all of us. Oldest GS is super excited :celebrate

I have an incubator on standby but I think one of the NN'S may be going broody again too so it might not be necessary :idunnoWill see where she is tomorrow morning and how serious she is.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  2. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Free Ranging

I have to watch this for sure! See you tomorrow! I changed my avatar to the daddy of the eggs.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  3. 4 ever Orpington

4 ever Orpington Mr.& Mrs Orpington Premium Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Suches,Georgia
    F9749380-4E11-45B7-87D7-DF7BE31B07CF.jpeg
    My Ruby and I sending best of luck on your hatch.

BlueBaby and igorsMistress like this.
  4. igorsMistress

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    I moved Ruby and the 2 eggs she had to the wire crate. She was surprisingly docile during the move. No go, she left them for eggs in a nest box. :rolleyes:

New plan: add the third nest box back to the coop, put litter on the floor and prep a nest area under her box for after hatch. I can raise the floor significantly with litter so littles should be ok to get out of the box without injury.

There's food and water, she's in the corner box so no one will bother her there.

The NN isn't broody, I'm good with it :)

tjo804, BlueBaby and meetthebubus like this.
  5. meetthebubus

meetthebubus Crowing

Mar 28, 2017
    Exciting good luck!

6. 4 Georgia Hens

4 Georgia Hens Songster

Jan 3, 2017
    Northern Georgia
    I’m excitied! Good luck! :pop:pop

7. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Free Ranging

igorsMistress likes this.
  8. igorsMistress

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    20180713_160447.jpg

6 eggs went under Ruby late this afternoon. 3 CLB X NN/ Bresse and 3 NN X Bresse from @BlueBaby that I picked up today. Hatch date should be late on August 3.

At roost she was still on the eggs in the nest box of her choice. Here we go.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  9. igorsMistress

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    Me too! Thanks :)

10. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Free Ranging

August 3rd, huh? :caf I'm well stocked up on coffee over here, and I'll be turning my incubator back on soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: