Our first broody

ewerbos

Songster
6 Years
May 14, 2016
Gaithersburg, MD
My husband and I are just starting our second year raising chickens, and we just got our first broody (a buff orpington, year old)! She started sitting last Sunday (a week and a half ago), and we gave her a dozen hatching eggs from a local farm a week ago today. We're leaving her in the nest box in the coop for now, since we're worried about disturbing her, but will probably move her to a separate box after the chicks hatch (currently occupied by some 9 week old pullets).

The nest box is elevated off the floor; I think we might try to close it off close to hatch to prevent issues with chicks, but not sure about that. I'm still feeling a little confused about the logistics, and I think we'll partly play it by ear--We weren't expecting extra chicks and will be fine with or without them, so this is mostly an experiment!

So far she seems pretty committed--We haven't caught her off her nest, but have seen some icky broody poops in the coop.

(right now we have 6 year-old laying hens and 8 9-week old pullets)

Here she is!:
IMG_20180425_170456.jpg

Sounds like you have a good plan 'B' in mind. Just monitor closely as the chicks start to hatch. I would be tempted to put a higher 'lip' across the front of the next box as an added protection for the chicks. Good luck for a successful hatch.

Sounds like you have a good plan 'B' in mind. Just monitor closely as the chicks start to hatch. I would be tempted to put a higher 'lip' across the front of the next box as an added protection for the chicks. Good luck for a successful hatch.

Thanks for the tip! That's a great idea. I was thinking I'd have to close off the whole thing, but just a little bit of a higher lip would be easier (and let our hen get out also if she needs to). The opening is about 9 inches high now, maybe another 2.5" furring strip and she'd still be able to get out?

She's still sitting... However, other hens are definitely laying in with her, and we didn't mark the eggs before we gave them to her! There were 19 a couple of days ago (the only time we ever caught her off the nest). I am thinking of sneaking in at night and pulling them out and candling them one by one--at this point (a week and a half in) I think even someone as inexperienced as myself will be able to tell which eggs will be developing. My husband really doesn't want to disturb her at all, but I think we're in for trouble if we don't do something about all the extra eggs ASAP.

That's really cool! I did end up candling and marking them last night (found 12 that looked fertilized, marked them and removed the [8!!] others). The ones that were fertilized did look about 10-12 days as per those pictures (though I wasn't looking closely, was just trying to distinguish between fertilized and not).

She had a bunch behind her that were a little cooler, and those were all the "bad" ones, so it seems she is indeed able to tell the difference, as she should.

Hatching day (day 21 right on schedule)! 3 out so far, two fluffy, one still wet! (wet one can't be seen in this picture. I also added the extra wood barrier in front, which also isn't super visible).
IMG_20180509_180404.jpg

10 hatched! Though one is looking iffy. She made a stinky poop in the nest, so we moved her to a broody area in the coop, as well as the last two eggs. She settled down on top of them and the peepers crawled in also; we're not super hopeful about the last two, but she seems to be. (Picture from before the move)
IMG_20180510_181604.jpg

Back
Top Bottom