Our first chick is hatched and more are working their way out!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tazzy, Jun 14, 2008.

1. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    Ta-da! I'm a grandma! Our first chick came out of the shell yesterday at some point, not sure when, just found the little guy/girl when we lifted the mama hen for the first time after 20 days. A couple of the shells had chips in them last night but now there are what looks like six of them with chips/cracks (could be more on the other side, I guess, didn't turn the eggs.) And one that's nearly hatched!

So the first chick hatched at day 19 and today we're looking at day 20.

Presenting our first baby buff orpington:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Congrats on the one Orph... I've never seen chicks hatch like that... Did you peel away all that shell?!

3. tazzy

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    No, we aren't touching the eggs. They're doing it themselves. When we saw them last night, they only had a couple of chips, like you see on some of the eggs. now there are two that have much of the shell peeled off. it does look weird.

do you think the membrane is keeping the other chicks in? should we assist?

4. tazzy

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    on second thought, I think I won't mess with anything. I'll let mother nature do its thing and see what happens by this evening with the chicks and the mama hen. I bet she knows what she's doing more than I would by intervening! [​IMG]

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    By lifting the hen up and taking pics you are ruining your chance at a good hatch...just like in an incubator they need the correct temp and humidity under her to hatch out properly.....

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  6. tazzy

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    thanks everyone. I'm back online. after posting this morning, I searched for more info on this site and found info on emergency intervention when necessary. our situation seemed to warrant us helping the chicks hatch because the membranes on our eggs are really, really tough. so weird that they were able to get the shell off but not the membranes. so we realized that we definitely have issues with tough membranes from our own experiences when we've cracked open fresh eggs and hard-boiled eggs to eat.

that said, my husband went out and pierced the membranes on the three eggs you see in the photo that had pipped the shell and out came two live chicks! sadly, one little chick had already smothered and died. very, very sad. but thank goodness he saved the others.

with that success, he went ahead and did "zippers" around the top of each shell that was pipped as decribed in another post on this site. by 2 p.m., we had five healthy, thriving chicks and had lost one more chick, which was perfectly formed but dead in its shell. so sad.

but by 8 p.m. we had eight healthy, peeping chicks and there were two shells left, one without any cracks or pips and one with a little beak sticking out. I am home alone this evening so I used my husband's "zipper" technique around the shell with the beak sticking out and I put the egg back under the momma hen. I hope to go out tomorrow and find at least nine healthy baby chicks. and maybe that 10th egg will have a pip in it by then, too. I hope so.

so far, 8 perfect chicks out of 12 eggs and 2 chicks that we lost. I'm so glad that we did intervene or we would have lost at least two more and possibly all of the little chicks.

does anyone know what causes such tough membranes? we're wondering if we need to change up the feed that we give the hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by