Our First Chicks - Advice?

SarcastaMOm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 21, 2013
Westbrook, Maine
We have a a flock of 5 lovely hens that we got as older pullets, who we simply love. Well last night we decided to bite the bullet and get our first chicks, a cute little group of 6, Cochins, Cochin Frizzles, a RIR and a Red Sex-Link. Three of them are 3 weeks old, the other 3 are one week old.

We have a brooder box set up with an infered bulb. I've already ordered an EcoGlow 20 at the suggestion of a friend as a better alternative source of heat. The chicks seem happy and active, eating and drinking. They're droppings all look nice and consistent, not runny or bloody stools.

I'd love any input from experienced chick raisers as to what I can do to keep them as happy and healthy as possible. Also, any tips on early determination of sex? We're hoping we don't' get too many roos :)

Thanks!

Here is some edvice. To keep the chicks busy you can stck a small mirror in the brooder they will LOVE that! Also they will enjoy plaine sugar free yogurt! the yogurt is really good for them too! Here is my edvice on telling hen from rooster. The two ways are both ways that you are either too late for or too early for. Ok so this way you are too late to do. This way is look at their wings the day they hatch The roosters grow their wing feathers alot slower so the hens will have a longer wing. The other way (You have to wait till they have there adult feathers) is look at their neck feathers if they are pointy rooster not pointy Hen.
Good Luck whith your new chicks!

I'll stick a mirror in there and see what they do :) I'll also be sure to pick up some yogurt - I've seen other people mention their chickens love it.

I'll keep my eye on the feathers. Just hoping we got at least a few good hens!

Back
Top Bottom