Our first chicks came today!!!

luvmybirdz

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 11, 2011
Our first little fuzzy butts came today
jumpy.gif
They are soooo cute! I'm trying to remember what I ordered, lol. We got 2 americaunas, 4 br, 3 slw, 3glw, 3 buff brahma and 1 glw male. I was so excited when I was able to order all the breeds I had wanted. Only 1 is yellow, so we wonder if that's the male. I need to look more at the chick pics online to tell who is who, lol. The kids are so excited I'm having a hard time getting them to do their school work (homeschooled). If I figure out how to post pics on here I'd love to share my babies w/everyone!

welcome-byc.gif
glad you joined BYC!!!
x2... got all the stuff? Thats quite a bit of chicks,.... i may get some soon... Where did you purchase them?

I got them from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio. Shipped yesterday and got the call at 7am today. I had looked through the pics others had posted of brooders and got an idea from there. We're using my daughter's old playpen to start out. Not sure how long that will last at this point...maybe a couple weeks:fl
I bought some save-a-chick to add to their water right off the bat. They took little time to become aware of their water then the food. I was unsure of the height of the light but they seem to be doing well w/it...not moving away from it or grouping together tightly. There is a thermometer in the pen and I got them a small kitty litter pan to add de/sand to for dust bathing. When, btw, do you start letting them have that? All I still have to get is grit for them before they are old enough for some treats. I do have 2 roos that we bought at the fair this summer from our local 4-H (light brahmas). They're big and lovely!

How do you upload pics here? Do you have to do it from a photobucket acc or something?

Only 1 is yellow, so we wonder if that's the male.

Our GLWs from meyer had somewhat of a chipmunk appearance, rather dark brown/blackish, certainly not yellow. I don't think you can sex GLWs by down color so I doubt that the yellow one you have is a GLW. Mine are now 6 weeks old and the are starting to get their gold lacing. I ordered all pullets, so I hope that's what I have. Here's a pic of mine at 2 days old:

50870_chick1.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Very cute indeed. No need for grit, the sand will do it for you. From your computer my pictures or CD or card reader with pictures from there that's the source not photo-bucket or sites like it. Right up near the top of every page is upload and then browse for the picture in your file. Then SUBMIT and they will be stored for you on BYC. When you see the picture been uploaded there is a box below the picture with codes in them cut and paste IMAGE and that picture you pasted will show in the thread. Good luck
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Thank you for the info!!! After looking at chick pics the yellow one may be an americauna, but I ordered 2 of those and only 1 really looks like that. Who knows. I
love.gif
them!

So far a couple of them are dealing w/pasty butt and I've had to do some cleanup of them. Watching everyone closely. I wonder why only a couple would have trouble if they all have the same temp and access to water. They are eating/drinking well from the looks of it. I think tomorrow they will graduate to shavings. The temp is only reading around 85 I think and they seem really comfy. Still need to get pics on the puter to download here. They are just so darn cute!

Back
Top Bottom