1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our first chicks hatched last night! Now few questions? **PICS**

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nlbeardmore, Aug 3, 2011.

1. nlbeardmore

nlbeardmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    England
    Hi, our broody chicken hatched 2 eggs last night and we woke up to two chicks! Shes in a separate coop the others but there's not loads of space for the mom to move. When can I let the mom out in garden with rest of flock for just 20 mins so she can have a dust bath? And also when can we start handling them? Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  2. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    My broody just hatched out one tonight [​IMG].I am not sure if the flock would pick on her or not because she has been gone so long but once her chicks dont need her warmth constantly you could let her out with the rest of the flock but just watch closely.you can handle the chicks anytime you want

3. LovinChicknFarmn

LovinChicknFarmn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    North Carolina
    You can handle them as soon as they're hatched. We were picking ours up with in the first hour to check them out and make sure they were okay and, lets face it, to just love on them. Mama can leave any time, but she may want to stay pretty close. Ours didn't go far from her chicks until they were a few days old and started getting frisky and wanting to walk around. We had them in a separate part of the coop and they had access to a small area of run, so they'd all go out and peck around. They're super cute and you're going to love watching them. My husband and I sat outside and watched ours for 3 hours one Saturday!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  4. nlbeardmore

Jun 27, 2011
    England
    thankyou [​IMG] I think our broody will be fine with the other hens, we are always introducing newbies into the flock and she hasnt been away for long at all. We have encouraged our broody to eat some mash now, she seems very proud and both chicks are getting much stronger! She lets us touch them and her too! Iv been told to feed the chicks boiled egg or scrambled egg so that it is soft for them unlike the chick crumbs they have. Does any one know what else is good to feed new born chicks? Also when will our broody decide to have a walk around (go to the toilet) could we put her outside for a few minutes while she does her business or will the chicks get too cold without her for this long?

5. nlbeardmore

Jun 27, 2011
    England
    bump

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by