Hey everyone! I'm new to BYC and glad to have found this community. I recently built a chicken coop on (almost) zero budget using recycled/found materials, mostly wooden shipping pallets. Please enjoy the pictures below and feel free to ask questions. What a wild ride it's been! ***** I don't have a carpentry or woodworking background, so on Day 1 I was quite pleased with myself for creating a simple cube out of the pallets. So pleased with myself, in fact, that I built a second cube on Day 2. I don't have a drill, so everything was done with hammer & nails. On Day 3, I strengthened the cubes a bit and started to envision them side by side with some open space in between. More pressure testing, and some mugging for the camera. We had a friend visit from out of town, so I put her to work framing the run & wrapping the whole contraption in chicken wire. Plus, of course, more mugging. The next phase, building a "second floor" henhouse was by far the hardest and required several days of scavenging wood parts & planning, made slower by a few rainy days. But slowly things began coming together. I spent a lot of time making sure the henhouse was completely predator-proof. There's no opening greater than 1 square inch. I can open the henhouse easily by pulling out a plank of wood. Here is a picture of me with one of our birds on the day they arrived! The coop wasn't even done, but I couldn't turn down these two beautiful (and free!) Rhode Island Reds. The end of the run opens up so I can walk in for feeding & cleaning. And we have a great spot to reach in for the eggs each morning. Our cat, surveying the yard. The ladies, looking out. And some more pictures for good measure! We've gotten 1 egg per bird per day so far! They're quite overachievers P.S. Thanks to @aart for encouraging me to post this! P.P.S The chickens are attracting bears, so I'm in the process of installing an electrified fence around the whole thing. I'll update as that progresses.