Our first coop coming along! It's a 20' long A frame

efalls

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 12, 2014
I am building a 7.5 x 20 A frame specifically to fit on a flat bed trailer if and when we move. We live on rented so everything has to be portable. It is 4"x4" and 2x4 construction, I will also pull it into fresh grass a few times per year with a tractor or truck. The "coop" is 3' up and is 5' wide by 8' long. I will post more detailed pictures.
The floor in the coop is made of wood decking with small gaps for moisture to fall through. In the winter I will line with a rubber horse mat. One wall of the A frame is hinged for cleaning. The nesting boxes are still in the design faze

efalls

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 12, 2014
Thanks ole grey. We will deff be moving one day so everything needs to be portable. I also designed the whole structure so that I could continue the "coop" floor across the entire structure to house A LOT more birds once we have more pasture. Today is painting say. Then food and water. The. Nesting box

Arielle

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
LOve the design!!

Have you concidered putting th e nest boxes on the end, as a bump out. THen you can access the nest easily and clean out easily.

Question about the horse mats-- have you considered that they prevent air movement as well as mositure issues??

YOu might cinsider keeping the "front" open as well for good ventialtion-- cover with rat wire. Pop door can be framed rate wire too. A little more complicated or stick with a standard door.

efalls

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 12, 2014
@ arielle yes I am thinking I will build a bump out outside the back wall. Or I could put boxes inside along the back wall and then if I cut my access door in half or just a smaller so I can still just reach in and grab them.

About the horse mat, I like the idea of a slatted floor during the summer months, I have always liked the raised coops with no floor, as I plan to drag mine to a few new patches of grass throughout the year. I know a lot of people on here do not agree because of drafty air in the winter. I will just work with that on an *** needed basis.

Thanks for the replies I appreciate any advice. I am brand new to keeping Chickens and I have 14 growing right now.

efalls

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 12, 2014
I was not able to get a coat on everything before it started raining but you get the idea of the color. I will cut out my door and I plan to make a window/vent in the back peak. I was going to use these plastic roof vents along the peak of the coop but now i think I want to use a real shingles for the peak maybe, or try to find an aluminum peak vent or something.

efalls

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 12, 2014
and just have it always open? not a close able vent? I know ventilation is key and I need to add a few.

Top Bottom