Our first coop is ready to go!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wabi Sabi, May 28, 2010.

1. Wabi Sabi

Wabi Sabi Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Our very first coop is ready to go!

After keeping an eye on Craigslist for months I came upon used Chick-n-Hutch that seemed like a good price. I've wanted chickens for years and after buying the coop on a whim decided to take the plunge! Turns out the the coop/run is quite flimsy and was in rough shape even though the previous owner had only used it a short time. Had I paid full price I'd feel pretty ripped off, but since it was cheap and used, eh. It's all good.

First and foremost, I am not handy at all and neither is my husband so I wanted something pre-built but was on a tight budget. The coop is located in a corner where the garage and back of the house meet and is not visible from the road or the rest of the yard. Therefore it didn't have to look exceptionally nice, but I still wanted something that was reasonably decent to the eye.

I re-stained the exterior and added hardware cloth to protect against predators. The bottom is completely lined in chicken wire with an apron that extends past the edges with bricks/cinder blocks on top. I also bought a $5 bread box at Goodwill, removed the back, cut a hole in the back of the coop and attached it to create a nesting box. The kids will love gathering eggs without having to open the whole coop! I still need to get a latch to lock the nest box but otherwise we're good to go!

Approximate cost breakdown:

Coop- $80
    Wire (hardware cloth is expensive!)- $45
    Stain, sandpaper, disposable foam brushes, etc.- $20
    Breadbox from Goodwill- $5
    Bricks- free from friends
    Hardware- free random nuts and bolts I found in the bottom of our tool chest

It's a small run/coop but hopefully should work well for us beginners! Our 3 bantams (from one of my son's kindergarten classmates) are due to arrive tomorrow and hopefully they'll like it.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. CrazyBirdLady

CrazyBirdLady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Salem / Redgranite
    Quote:That is so clever! I love it! [​IMG]
  3. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    It looks great you did a wonderful job! I love the breadbox!
  4. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Quote:That is so clever! I love it! [​IMG]

I love the bread box too! That is adorable and very creative. [​IMG]
  5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    How smart and resourceful! That looks great, and i love Love LOVE the breadbox nest box!
  6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] The bread box is hilarious!! So clever!! Ha! I can see the practical joke of someone sticking a loaf in there for when you go to collect eggs...hehehe! [​IMG] Your new little chickens will love their new home!
  7. 3LittleChickadees

3LittleChickadees New Egg

May 13, 2010
    moonStitch farm
    I absolutely love the breadbox!
    Are those pavers buried or just on top of the ground around your run?
  8. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    That is a great little coop!! The breadbox is just perfect!!
  9. txmel

txmel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    i love the bread box too and now am thinking i need to make a trip to the junk store to see if i can find one, because currently my silkies have a modified cat liter bucket. and i think it looks horrible. plus if its attached to the outside like yours then they have that much more room to move in their coop since so far they refuse to go outside in their run. [​IMG]
  10. Wabi Sabi

Wabi Sabi Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Quote:They are pretty heavy cinderblocks that are just on top of the apron to hold it down and in place. We have all sorts of utility lines that run underground in that corner of the house so I'm afraid of doing any actual digging plus I'm not 100% certain yet that we're going to keep the coop in this exact spot. We might end up moving it once we get the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by