Our first coop.. pictures!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JasonB, Sep 11, 2010.

1. JasonB

JasonB New Egg

Sep 11, 2010
    I built this coop for our son who thought it would be cool to raise chickens and gather their eggs. My wife and I figured it would be a good lesson in responsibility, so off we went! [​IMG]

The coop is 4x8, two story, hen house on top, with a 3' tall run on the bottom, It sits on a frame of 4x4s with 1/2 inch hardware cloth covering the entire bottom of the run and filled with 4 inches of dirt, construction gravel, and play sand. There is also an apron around the outside to deter digging. The run is protected with 1/2 inch hardware cloth and 2x4 welded wire. The coop is painted to match our house and shop.

I want to thank all of the BYC posters... I read and read (since I basically started out knowing zilch about chickens) a huge number of posts during the construction process and we're still learning as we go along. I also want to give credit to https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=12820-mini-coop, as I used this coop for my inspiration.

So, here are the pics...[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The inside set up...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The babies first day in the new coop. It's warm here in NC, so we had them out at 4 weeks. We have three black Australorps and three RIRs that we got from TSC during chick weeks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More pics of the chicks... this first one... I'm thinkin' it's a rooster. What does everyone think? It's comb is larger than the other two and it's tail feathers are shorter. Any keen eyes out there spot any other potential roos? [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bath time...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So thanks again and I would very much welcome any suggestions, comments for improvement, etc.

2. eggburritos

eggburritos Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Fort Collins, Co
    Very nice job! Cute chicks too. [​IMG]

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Extra Nice and Secure! [​IMG]

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] Beutiful coop and chickens!!! Not sure re gender of #1, you may have to wait a couple of weeks to get a better idea. You can also try to post in the 'Breed/Gender' section to see if someone can give you a better answer. I noticed the 'small roost', I assume it is the temporary roost while they are little. I can't tell if the roosts in the other pic are round or flat. In my opinion/experience (especially if you get cold winters) a flat surface is easier in the feet and if you use a 2x4 with the wide side up the chooks can roost and cover their feet with their feathers when it's cold. You may ned a little ramp to get on the roost....I love the coop, you did a great job!!! Enjoy those chooks, they are addicting [​IMG]

5. emrys

emrys Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Even the chickies look like they know how albsoultely cool their little house is.

6. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Looks great! [​IMG]

7. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Very pretty coop and will be an asset to your backyard by matching it with your house. Enjoy.

8. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Aww how cute is that coop?!! Welcome and enjoy!

9. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    VERY NICE!!! My only suggestion would be to move their food and water outside and under the coop. I would not encourage them to spend any more time than necessary inside the coop. The only time they should be inside is to sleep and lay their eggs. All their eating and drinking should be outside once they are big enough to come and go on their own. [​IMG]

10. Lilacfeather

Lilacfeather Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    Oh, that's wonderful...love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by