Our first coop! Please offer feedback

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rockwoodfamilyflock, May 21, 2010.

1. rockwoodfamilyflock

rockwoodfamilyflock Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    Please check out our new coop-- an anniversary gift from my DH. Our 6 week old chicks seem right at home. It really was fun to watch them checkin' it all out. We still need to decide on how/where to put the nesting boxes. We have just four chicks so I may only do one, maybe two. Any advice? Also, our ramp is missing the little steps they need for going up and down but they seem to be managing okay for now. I hope this adequately protects them from predators with the hardware cloth apron that goes along the ground and up 3ft around the perimeter.
    One question... Is hardware cloth for the floor inside the coop that sits off the ground okay by itself? Does it also need litter or can I simply put litter in the nesting boxes once they are completed?
    Love this site!! I have so many questions even after a ton of reading.
    Thanks for any help!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would love to check out your coop, but I need pics to do so...lol [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

You don't need steps for your ramp; just staple some hardware cloth up its length. That will give the chickens enough traction, and you won't have to deal with any little bits of wood to cut to the right width, or replace if any get loose.

I also didn't see any pictures.....

4. rockwoodfamilyflock

rockwoodfamilyflock Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    I've never had trouble posting a photo until now. Is it because I'm using my iPhone? So bummed!! We're on the road and I'm dying to get some input. Please help if you've posted from the iPhone. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by