Our first coop project

Chickmagnet36

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 14, 2012
Southern Massachusetts

My daughter and I decided we wanted to raise some chickens this coming spring, so, we started searching the web for information. We found ourselves on this site quite a bit. Above is a picture of the coop we are building for our feathered friends, (got alot of great info from various posts). More to come next spring when we get our chicks, wer'e planning on starting out with 6 Rhode Island red pullets.
D.gif

You are going to have so much fun!

Be prepared for predators. I am on the third incarnation for my run. I now call it "Fowlcatraz" and have to use a live trap to occasionally remove opossums. I have had my flock completely wiped out twice.

My favorite part is naming the chicks.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. Predators are definately an issue where I live. I've built the coop inside a 10'X10' dog kennel, covered the top with chicken wire to ward off aerial attacks. I'm planning on surrounding the perimiter with chicken wire (2 feet out) and burying that with heavy rocks to discourage digging predators. On top of that, the coop itself should be predator proof with all doors and hatches secured with locking latches at night. That's my plan, I think I have my bases covered, but...you never know.

Back
Top Bottom