Our First Coop Project

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wae5013, Oct 23, 2013.

1. wae5013

wae5013 New Egg

Oct 23, 2013
    Southeast PA
    My wife and I recently got our first chickens (4 Easter Egger Hens). We are currently working on building our first coop using recycled wood from an old family coal bin (we made sure there was no leftover coal dust). This is also the first real wood project either of us have ever done. Since these pictures were taken, we have added the ramp for the girls and also fixed the roof. We have plans for the run, nesting box, and the access hatch (to clean, feed, and water). We also plan on shingling the roof and caulking and painting the side. The area under the coop will be wired in so the girls can use the shade it will provide in the summer (also the run should be 4 feet wide 11 feet long and 3 feet high). The coop is roughly 4 feet by 4 feet and the base is 2 feet off the ground. Does anyone have any good ideas on corrections/ improvements? I know it is not much to look at right now; but we needed this done quick to get our girls out of our garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I think it looks nice for amateur carpenters.

I would try for an overhang for the roof. That way it will shed water from your openings. Chickens need fresh air.

Plan for a good size pen. The chickens will rapidly destroy all the vegetation in a small pen.

3. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Let the shingles overhang about an inch, my coop is about the same size and I built it with external laying boxes, easy to get the eggs and saves a ton of space gives a little more stretching room.It looks pretty good so far.

4. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
  5. wae5013

wae5013 New Egg

Oct 23, 2013
    Southeast PA
    Everyone, thank you for the advice. We were able to get the run done this weekend, but the nesting box and access hatch on the back will have to be done this coming weekend. Also, some ventilation windows for the girls will be added. We are not sure if we will overhang the roof or not. We are still debating that and we have a little of time since we will being getting the shingles this week.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I have one coop that doesn't have an overhang on the south side which is where the pop doors are. Every time it rains the water gets in even with the doors closed and the bedding gets wet. I'm putting a roof extension on that side because wet bedding isn't good. In the winter it contributes to frostbite. In warm weather it is a place for disease to prosper.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by