Our first Coop (under construction)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CoopDeFoudre, Mar 19, 2013.

1. CoopDeFoudre

CoopDeFoudre Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2013
    BHM, AL
    Hi all

Started building this coop, working only a few hours a day on weekends a couple weeks ago. I tried to design it in such a way that as little scrap as possible was produced. Hence the whole thing is 8'x4', the coop is 4'x32" and sits two feet off the ground. The back coop wall is 5' high, front of run is 3' high. The front wall of the coop is 6' high and the run meets this wall at the 4.5' mark.

We currently have 6 Golden Laced Wyandottes in the brooder that are just over a week old; 3 girls and 3 boys. I feather sexed them at a day old; though I should have banded them b/c its kinda hard to tell them apart, besides the fact that the girls are feathering out a little faster.

As we live in AL, and the weather is fairly mild this time of year, the girls will be going out to the coop in 4-5 weeks. And the boys,... well if you're local and would like a GLW cockerel let me know, otherwise things may get drastic.

[​IMG]
    Bottom is enclosed w/ hardware clothe, gonna need more topsoil to back fill.
    [​IMG]
    Had to staple some plastic over where the nesting boxes will be as we had some thundershowers yesterday afternoon.

2. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    I dont think that will be big enough for 6 Large Chickens. The coop is nice tho.

3. becker

becker Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    Nice design for a few birds.

Looking nice!

4. CoopDeFoudre

CoopDeFoudre Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2013
    BHM, AL
    We're only keeping the three hens, one of the cockerels is going to my wife's grandfather, the other two we'll give away.
    Thanks, I'm hoping the girls will like their new home.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  5. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    Oh well then you will have room. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by