Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OwensDad, Mar 25, 2016.
Oh, no, something seems to have gone a bit wonky with the images you tried to post - I do hope you can get it straightened out soon as we would love to see your handy-work!
I hope maybe this will work. A little bit on the coop that was given to me and what I did to fit what I needed.
I want to tell my story and hope this works. Am new and still learning the site, it's a slow go.
So on another forum, someone posts up that he bought some property and there was a coop on it that he wanted gone so it was free to the first taker. I jumped on it!
Simple frame and chicken wire, 8x6x7 tall.
So I get the coop home and for the life of me, I had a hard time trying to figure out how I was going to utilize the coop. Did some repair on the bottom of the frames, all was well and ready to reassemble.
I then get the bright idea, just cover it with plywood!
I hinged the backside and two front panels for ventilation.
So, as you can see, I painted it with white primer for now and I was actually impressed that it came out so good.
So now, I need to put in a "hen door"..this will let them our into the run, which was real simple to do, steel T posts, chicken wire and plastic zip ties.
My idea for a hen door is real simple, something that slides up and down on the end of a pull rope.
used 1x4s for slide rails and a piece of plywood with a pulley. I secured a small block on the outside of the plywood door to be the STOP as you pulled on the rope. That way you don't pull the door completely out of its rails.
I ran the rope up and out thru the coop and secured a cleet for the rope
My next project was a shade/shelter for the chicky bois.
Real simple design..some treated 2x4s cut on 45*..one sheet of plywood ripped down the middle..painted..this is a dual purpose structure, provides the shade and shelter, and it also helps to hold up and support the chicken wire "lid" I put over the run.
So now it is time to paint so I painted the coop the same color as the house, it has to match you know.
I left the inside of the window covers primer white, makes it easier to see from the house to confirm that I opened up the coop.
Here is a pic of the coop opened for ventilation...before final paint
Looks kinda cool don't it
I don't have any pix yet of the roosting dowels inside, but I had a piece of wooden closet dowel and a couple of 2x4s that I set up a roost for the Chicky Bois. I also made a ramp so that they could get up there easier..once I get a pic of all that, I will come back here and post it for y'all
now a couple of miscellaneous chicken pix.
Welcome to BYC.
It's polite forum etiquette to start your own thread to post all your pics instead of posting on someones else thread.
There's a 'Start a New Thread' button on the top and bottom of every page.