Our first coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by topgunn601, Feb 1, 2013.

1. topgunn601

topgunn601 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Bailey, MS
    I've been researching for some months on coop designs and found this one that seemed to suit what my wife and I were wanting to start with. Just a few hens for eggs and the ability to be mobile. I made this mostly from pallet wood and scrap lumber that's been laying around my shed. Any recommendations or improvements would be greatly appreciated!!![​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. topgunn601

Feb 1, 2013
    Bailey, MS
    [​IMG]

3. topgunn601

Feb 1, 2013
    Bailey, MS
    [​IMG]

4. topgunn601

Feb 1, 2013
    Bailey, MS
    [​IMG]

5. topgunn601

Feb 1, 2013
    Bailey, MS
    Even got my son (16) off the ps3 for this project!!! LOL[​IMG]

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Pretty nice! Pic of the inside please?

Know that the chicken wire might not keep chickens safe from determined dogs.

Coop looks nice and secure for nightime, got some ventilation?

7. topgunn601

Feb 1, 2013
    Bailey, MS
    The inside has no floor with a roost off the side which I intend on modifying to a lil more sturdy set up. I have two adult pit bull dogs that so far have had no interest in the chicks. Due to them I haven't been to worried about predators they keep everything ran out of our yard. I have wondered about ventilation there are gaps between the top and ridges of the tin was thinking that would b enough but could easily drill some holes around the top to vent more. We only have two RIR hens right now to test the waters with our lil set up.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Hopefully you can train the pits to not eat the chickens, are the pits out all night?
    If not, you might want to put some 1/2" hardware cloth as a floor on the coop so nothing can dig up under there.

9. insanity

insanity Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    What!!!!!How? Miracles do happen. My teen girl would probably drop over dead from the trauma or drama or withdrawals. lol.

10. topgunn601

Feb 1, 2013
    Bailey, MS
    Yea the dogs roam free all day and night their both really good dogs. Their my wife's babies, she keeps them in plenty of treats been a week so far without any problems. Our neighbors have chicks and horses they don't bother them either. I work in the oilfield and my wife and kids are at school most of the day. Not saying they won't but so far the dogs have been good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by