Our first cull and I feel bad

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by addicted2chicks, Apr 13, 2009.

1. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    We had a blind chick a few weeks ago that we tried to save but she eventually passed she was a barred rock. Well we had another that hasn't been gaining weight but I kept thinking she was probably a midget chick. Well tonight I decided she probably was getting to be too small to run with the big chicks and that I should put her in with the bantams so they were more her size. On my way of carrying her I decided probably not a good idea just because of contaminating the bantams if something else might be wrong so I just didn't feel comfortable to do it. Although I am sure it would of been fine, but I would of felt awful if I was wrong. So then she had pooped on me so I went to grab a paper towel to clean my hand and her up, that is when she started struggling for a breath. She was nodding her head and her chest was expanding and contracting hard and her beak was opening trying to get air. I looked at DH and said she needs to be culled. He took her outside and I told him just do it and don't tell me about it. I feel it was the right thing to do, I don't want any of them to suffer, but I still feel bad. She was also a barred rock.

2. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Hard as it is, you did the right thing. I had to cull a newly hatched chick the other night and that was hard because it struggled to be born - really hard - but in spite of how hard it worked to get out of the shell, it could not get up and walk right away - it's neck was curled and it kept laying down and sleeping. It had a red nubby growth on the top of it's tail - still don't know what that was and it's abdomen was very engorged and the skin totally transparent and it looked like it had swallowed a whole yolk.

As much as we want them to all live, if they are deformed or abnormal, we need to be humane.

3. chickenlove2009

chickenlove2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    Let me tell you something: it doesn't get easier. Ever.

I have culled over 20 babies and it breaks my heart everytime but it HAD to be done.

Sorry for your loss, but it was the right thing to do.

4. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I had my hubby cull a young silkie because she was sickly and going blind. It's very hard. I still miss her. [​IMG]

5. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Thanks! I feel better just having you all tell me it was the right thing to do. Although I knew it was, it just makes me feel better to "hear" it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by