Our first cull

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LeezyBeezy, Jun 29, 2010.

1. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    It was difficult, but we finally did the mean roo in. He was such a menace. I feel a little bad, but it had to be done- the two boys (4 and 6) we afraid to be outside, and the dang thing had me scared too. Now the two hens are arguing a bit. The red hen won't let the speckled hen on the roost. I hope they solve this soon!

Anyone else notice a difference with their hens, after the roo was gone?

2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, roosters matter alot to hens. We had quite a few roosters a few years ago and had to cull them because they were bickering amongst themselves and over-mating the hens. At the time, my Turken and Wyandotte hens were the BEST of buddies, side by side, always together every day. As soon as the roosters were gone, their friendship just ended and they began to fight. To this day, the Turken is more dominant than the Wyandotte. It's like they were never friends.

Some roosters are like the peace-makers among their flock and create alot of balance, just not with humans. They'll figure things out. Give 'em a few weeks.

3. Bill D

Bill D Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Fayetteville NC
    We men are like that - peace makers! [​IMG] I say this as I am ducking!!!

4. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    Oh, he definitely kept them in line. I found the two little feathery butts OUT BY THE ROAD today. He never let them go there. (((SIGH)))

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by