Our first CX are in the fridge resting. How long before we eat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by fried green eggs, Jun 26, 2011.

1. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    We started with 6 CX chicks and all made it to 12 1/2 weeks without any health problems. We let them free range daily and they actually liked to run short distances. The running kind of looked like a very fast waddle with flapping wings to keep their balance the last couple weeks [​IMG] With all the exercise our birds did - our 3 CX roos finished processed weight 8 1/2 - 9 # each and the 3 hens weight was 6 - 6 1/2 # each. They would have weighed a little more with feet, neck and full wings but we cut those off before weighing. We plucked 3 and skinned 3 for comparison. We made a killing cone from a large plastic guard collar, we got from the vet from our dogs surgery. The milk jug killing cone - was way too small for these meaties. It took us almost 4 hours to process them but we had fun and it helped knowing they had a good life until the end. Can't wait to have one for dinner. [​IMG]

2. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    I always let them rest for at least 24 hours but more often I let them rest for 2 or 3 days. I haven't noticed a difference between 1 day and 3 days.

Those birds are HUGE. It looks like you have some nice oven stuffer roasters. Enjoy.

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    IF they are that big I would rest them more like 3 days. I have noticed the bigger or older they are, the longer it takes for the muscles to relax. You should be able to wiggle the legs and wings freely.

4. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Thanks for the info about resting after butchering. Wednesday I'll roast one and freeze the other 5. I plan to freeze a few whole if they will fit in freezer bags. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by