1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our first day out of the coop!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kjpanda, Aug 7, 2011.

1. kjpanda

kjpanda Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    The girls are 17 and 18 weeks old now and today I fashioned a temporary fence for them so they could get out and forage. They had such a grand time and now they are plum tuckered out and are sound asleep in their coop. I guess I will break down and buy the Premier portable fence for them so they can free range when we are home. I thought about building portable panels out of PVC or 1's and hardware cloth, but I'm so tired of building stuff! [​IMG]

The girls enjoying their new found freedom!

[​IMG]

The porch looks fun too!

[​IMG]

Taking a watermelon break!

[​IMG]

Get out of the way, I want out!!

[​IMG]

OK, now is it just me, or does she look like she can't wait to peck me to death?!?!?!

[​IMG]

Now her sister is asking her why she didn't get me when she had the chance!

[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Such pretty girls; they look happy.

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

That's great! mine are itching to get out of their run and free range around my yard, but I have thrown out seed so I can grow then something eat after it sprouts. They do love getting out. [​IMG]

5. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    So cool! Your girls are beautiful [​IMG] my girls had their first go at free ranging this week as well ... So much fun [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by