Our first Double Yolker!!! Poor girl...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hen Daddy, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Hen Daddy

Hen Daddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I think our buff orpington layed it, not sure though. I was so surprised to see such a huge egg in the nest box. I'm still amazed at how big it is! I want to hold it, and treasure it. I do want to eat it, but not yet...maybe after the novelty of it has worn off! [​IMG]

Anyways here are some pictures of it! The first two pictures are off a normal sized egg from Ms. Orpy:

I was playing around with my camera for this first one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of my eggs from yesterday with the beast!
    [​IMG]

~Caran

2. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

That is some BIG egg! I'm hoping for your sake that it's a double-yolker but I've had extraordinarily large eggs turn out to have a single yolk. And it's the extra white, not the yolk, that made the eggs so large! I would love to get a double yolk but not even one yet, even though I have about 28 decent layers. Let us know how it turns out and good luck! Genie

3. minifarm8

minifarm8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Hagerstown, MD
    I'm just thinking

!OUCH!

4. hottexaschick

hottexaschick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2008
    Collin County, Texas
    We usually get one jumbo egg a week. I always expect to see one of my girls doing a slow, stiff, wide leg walk around the yard that day.

You mom's know the walk I'm talkin' about [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  5. lady chicken whisperer

lady chicken whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Ohio
    My dad had chickens when he was growing up and he would go out to the barn to find one HUGE egg, like the size of a goose egg, and then the hen that laid it would die the next day......

Ive had bantam eggs with two yolks before [​IMG]

6. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Off topic, but the first one reminds me of how the sun with sunspots looked through a telescope (with a solar filter, of course) when I was teaching astronomy.

7. Hen Daddy

Hen Daddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Quote:Oh no don't say that!!!! She's still alive, but she didn't lay an egg yesterday...We will see about today.

As for the yolks, yup 2! We ate them this morning with 2 banty eggs. Yummmm!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by