1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our FIRST Double Yolker

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mommysongbird, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    We had our first DOUBLE YOLKER!!!

My white Fancy Girl (breed????) laid it about a week ago. I knew it was larger than all of her others or the other eggs period from the other girls, but never thought it to be a double yolker. Do you think she will lay anymore, or was it just the 'luck of the draw?' She lays a pinkish egg but sometimes they are more white. Not sure why.

Here is the double yolker. My son had it for his scrambled eggs this afternoon. I thought he was going to ask to put it back in the shell. [​IMG] It's strange, because I candle all of our eggs when I bring them in, and I only seen one yolk. How did I miss the other yolk???

[​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats! But don't get too used to them. While they happen in new layers, once their bodies adjust to laying, they don't happen very often.

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Quote:x2. Our BRs produced a few in the first week they were laying, and that was it. We loved them!

4. susi

susi New Egg

Sep 14, 2011
    Cool! I'm new to this game and we have 26 hens. One of them has been giving us double yoked eggs every day for quite awhile now. We're curious to see if she continues!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by