1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OUR FIRST EASTERN TURKEY!!! (PICS WILL BE ADDED)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kare21162, Jun 1, 2008.

1. kare21162

kare21162 Chillin' With My Peeps

About 30 minutes ago our first Eastern Turkey hatched. He's still got his sea legs, does anybody know when they start walking??? He fumbling around in the incubator and kicking and running into the other eggs. Is that a bad thing? I hope not! I will be posting pictures, just as soon as he dries off.

2. chickenman7

chickenman7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    TX
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I LOVE TURKEYS
    [​IMG]

3. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats pretty normal when they first come out..dont open the bator to take pic's wait till they are all done hatching......

Charlie

4. kare21162

I was going to wait and take the picture. He's still not walking, but he's about 60% dried. It's been about 12 hours since he hatched. None of the other eggs have any pips in them and it will be day 30 here in a few hours. The poult has also been kicking those eggs around, I knew I should have used an egg carton to hatch. This is my first time hatching anything, so normal rookie mistake!!!!!

5. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Its possible incubation wasnt right..temps or hum..An egg carton wont make no difference in my experence with hatching eggs.

We get near 95 to 100% hatch rates here with out the use of egg cartons..

If your temps or hum where wrong that would cause crippled birds, dead in shell etc.. or even a late hatch...

Turkeys arent the easyest to hatch. I like to incubate turkey eggs on there sides instead of up right..You need a goose rack to do this or a specail made rack for bigger bators.

Give them some more time incase your temps where low..

Charlie

6. kare21162

There were a few times that I caught the temps around 102. I never got a hyrometer until a week before they were due to hatch.

The breeder we got them from said that he always has the humidity high and always has both vents open the whole incubation time. He always has at least 80% hatch rates. I just followed the directions that came with the incubator.

The poult ended up passing away this morning anyway. So that's 2 poults down and 5 more eggs that are on day 30 and not a pip out of any of them.

I am pretty upset over this....I babied those eggs like you wouldn't believe. Me and my husband were so excited when we had the first one hatch, but that was short lived.

I think my first mistake was to not have a hygrometer, my second probably was candling them everyday, and my third was not having a surge protector. I guess if I ever do this again, I will learn a little more about incubating instead of just jumping in head first.

Thanks for all the information!!! It is greatly apprieciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by