Our first egg!!🥚💙

Roseynose

Songster
Apr 7, 2022
Our sweet Easter egger Maid Marmalade was the last one I expected to lay the first egg. Her comb hasn't even really grown out yet she isn't even squatting yet. I figured it was going to be our Australorp who has been guarding the fake eggs. It turned out to be the cutest little blue-green fairy egg!💙

Attachments

• IMG_20220804_122549084.jpg
    IMG_20220804_122549084.jpg
    701.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20220804_121254937_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220804_121254937_HDR.jpg
    524.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220804_124651851.jpg
    IMG_20220804_124651851.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220804_121326473.jpg
    IMG_20220804_121326473.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 11
That's great! I got my first egg today also.
Now what do I do?
Open up the laying nests? I kept them closed off.
Do I switch over the feed even tho I only have one laying?
Thanks for any help
Congrats! First eggs are always exciting.

Yes. Go ahead and open up the nests. If possible, put a fake egg or golf ball in there or even a real egg if you have nothing else. Chickens like to lay where others have already laid eggs, so that is a signal for your girls to lay in the nests.

On layer feed: Can you give some more details on your chickens- sexes and ages? It makes a difference. What are you feeding currently?

That's great! I got my first egg today also.
Now what do I do?
Open up the laying nests? I kept them closed off.
Do I switch over the feed even tho I only have one laying?
Thanks for any help
I have been collecting info about that too. So far I also have mixed age laying age mostly not yet. Wilco lady told me it's good for now just to keep with the starter feed and put out calcium supplement in a different bowl so birds can eat when they need. Also soldier fly or Leafly greens snacks naturally give a calcium boost. I opened up my egg box a little over week ago because my other hen raven the Australorp started squatting. I put fake eggs in the box and she started guarding them and sitting on them but she still hasn't laid her own eggs yet lol. None of my birds have tried to sleep in the egg box or poo in it so I think they figured out what the space is for.

Last edited:
Our sweet Easter egger Maid Marmalade was the last one I expected to lay the first egg. Her comb hasn't even really grown out yet she isn't even squatting yet. I figured it was going to be our Australorp who has been guarding the fake eggs. It turned out to be the cutest little blue-green fairy egg!💙
Oh that's so cool ! The first eggs are the best but I would've not guessed her. I love their tiny pullet eggs. She's beautiful. I just got some EE pullets this year and I'm excited for their eggs. How old is marmalade. My mind keeps wanting sing the song by Patti LaBelle. :ya

Congratulations!!! How egg-citing!!! Lol

Oh that's so cool ! The first eggs are the best but I would've not guessed her. I love their tiny pullet eggs. She's beautiful. I just got some EE pullets this year and I'm excited for their eggs. How old is marmalade. My mind keeps wanting sing the song by Patti LaBelle. :ya
She is 20 weeks old. I have a rooster that has been trying to mate with her, little butt head roo. I wonder if it hurried her along with egg laying? Oh and I know it's her for sure because she is the only one that can lay blue eggs the others will be brown.

Back
Top Bottom