Our first egg and a question about layer feed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smileysjs1, Nov 12, 2008.

1. smileysjs1

smileysjs1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    So we got our first egg yesterday I think. We found two in the coop but, one was broken and, I assume it was from yesterday cause we were gone most of the day and didn't check. My two oldest pullets are now 16 weeks I think. We got them when they were " two months plus" so I'm not sure. I heard one of them scratching around in the coop and I saw the eggs. My younger pullets are 12 weeks old. I heard that when a pullet lays an egg I can go ahead and switch her and the other older ones to the layer feed, even the rooster. But what about the younger ones? Can I change them too? Or how am I supposed to separate the food?

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Pullets should not be given layer feed until 18 weeks.

In your situation, you might consider feeding something like Flock Raiser to them all until the 12 week olds are at least 18 weeks. I had a mixed bunch of varrying ages this summer and I fed the Flock Raiser (no oyster shell), and mine did just fine on that for 6 weeks, until the youngest were old enough to be on layer.

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats on your first egg [​IMG]

4. smileysjs1

Jun 12, 2008
    Thanks! My kids and I are so happy! lol

5. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    We give ours flockraiser too [​IMG]

6. smileysjs1

Jun 12, 2008
    So I went to two stores looking for the flock raiser. One said that they hardly ever carry it and I'd do just fine giving them layer mash. The other store in a different town said that they didn't have it and the chickens would be okay with start-n-grow or layena. I ended up buying the layena. Do I need oyster shell? They free range at least 5 hours of the day and they have a pretty good size run. What's grit and do I need it?

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    They should NOT have layer feed until they are 18 weeks old, minimum. It has extra calcium in it that can be detrimental to their development!!

You can leave them all on start-n-grow; some folks do that, it's just more expensive than the flock raiser. There are different brands of the same type of feed. I'd suggest finding out what the brands are that your feed mills carry, then go online and find out which of that company's feeds are good for ALL AGES of birds. That's what the Flock Raiser is. It's got higher protein than lay feed, so it's helpful for the younger ones in that area.

DO NOT feed oyster shell unless you can separate the ones less than 18 weeks. When I feed Flock Raiser, I'll have a number of birds laying, and I do not feed oyster shell until they are all at least 18 weeks; I have never had a soft shelled egg.

Good luck!!

8. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Congrats. I wouldn't give the 12 week old any layer. It has way to much calcium and other things that could over load her system. If you could mix that would be better but the best way would be to let the 12 week old have her own feed and area.

9. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    The feed store is just trying to sell you something they already have on hand. Don't feed "layer anything" until they are old enough. I get so irritated when stores do that!!!!

10. smileysjs1

Jun 12, 2008
    I called 4 stores and none of them had it so I just ordered the flock raiser but they say they probably won't have it till the end of next week!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by