1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our first egg and it's mid winter!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Fourgirlyhens, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Fourgirlyhens

Fourgirlyhens Just Hatched

Dec 4, 2016
    Juneau, Alaska
    I got my first egg today. Of course mid winter here in Alaska. However, it wasn't in the nesting box. It was laying in the middle of the coop. Any suggestions for getting them to lay in the boxes. They don't seem interested in the boxes...

[​IMG]

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    It's common for pullets to lay where ever. . Takes them time to firgure out boxes... I use a dummy egg in boxes.. that usally helps... make sure nest boxes are clean

3. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Leave a fake egg in the boxes or even a golf ball might do the trick. I just got my first beautifully blue egg from my super blue egg layer hatched May 9 five days ago and she's laid three since then. Now I wish her 7 clutchmates would start, too. Can they be far behind? Yes chickens do start laying in midwinter but they may be a month or two older then those who start in the spring or summer.

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Congrats on the 1st egg, that's always an exciting moment! [​IMG]

5. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by